Is there really difference between Enfamil's Newborn formula and just the regular milk based?

I've read the can but can't seem to find much difference between the two.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:09 PM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just the brand. I started out with Enfamil it seemed like every time I go in the grocery store the prices was higher. I started giving dd the store brand sure wish I had sense enough to do it with ds a 3yrs ago, I could have saved boohoos of money. I think for a tub of Enfamil is like $25 and the off brand that I use (same fl oz) is $15.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 4:17 PM on May. 16, 2011

• By federal law, all formula sold in the US must follow the same nutritional guidelines. Sometimes the companies add extra fiber, or vitamins, or other benign, beneficial additives to try to set them apart from each other. Nutritionally all are similar/identical thereby you can't really see any differences on the can label. You can safely feed your newborn the "regular" milk based formula rather than the newborn formula. Sometimes one brand agrees more with the baby so if after a few days your baby experiences more gas than usual or other complaints, you could try a different brand of formula. The only thing to remember is that you follow the instructions for ratio of water to formula precisely. We fed our DD generic formula bought in bulk at Sams and we had no issues whatsoever.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:19 PM on May. 16, 2011

• In my book it's a gimmick like the toddler formulas. None of my kids had special newborn formula (because they didn't have it then) and they are all very healthy. In fact my last 3 only had store brand formula. The first 4 kids didn't even have the formula with the added DHA and stuff. They are the 5 healthiest kids I've ever met.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:20 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I do believe the only difference is the amount of Vitamin D in the newborn. I could be wrong though. Let me research it and get back to you. I don't want to give false info.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:43 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, it has to do with the Vitamin D that they now believe infants between the ages of newborn to 3 months need. Google enfamil newborn and all the facts are there for you :) I would copy and paste or give you a link, but am unable to do while mobile.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:47 PM on May. 16, 2011