3yr old girl who's potty trained during the day only?

my granddaughter is fully potty trained during the day even during her afternoon nap at daycare, but when it comes to the evening, she wets the bed. she had her tonsils and adenoids (sp) removed when she was two, we don't let her have any liquids after 6:30pm we make sure she goes potty before laying down at night. will she grow out of it? Neither of my children nor my oldest grandchild had this problem..

nybor48

Asked by nybor48 at 4:22 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My daughter, now 7y.o. Also was not night trained at that age. In retrospect, after having a son who I refused to keep in diapers after the age of 2.5, I feel as if I had enabled my daughter by keeping her in those pull ups for as long as I did. She was almost 5 before I finally had the guts to throw those things away and really teach my daughter how to stop wetting herself. I feel like the diaper industry is in cahoots with the AAP because we are all fed misinformation in an effort for them to sell more diapers. If she can control her bladder during the day, there is a good chance she can do it at night. Try making sure she is getting enough sleep and going to bed at the right time for her body. Put her in underwear and put on a waterproof mattress cover. Do all the other things you are doing and just get rid of those pull ups because they are a crutch. Lovingly tell your granddaughter that they are not coming back.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 4:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My DD is 3.5, and we just started night training her. She's a very heavy sleeper and always woke up wet in pullups until recently.

It's been a week and good so far. We take her to potty about 2 hours after her bedtime, so she gets one final go before we're asleep.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:32 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My DD will be three on the 28th and she is like this. We just put pull ups on her. Pediatrician said it is hormonal and she'll grow out of it eventually.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 4:24 PM on May. 16, 2011

• eventually but just put her in a pull up at night, no big deal
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:24 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My son (3 1/2) is like this. I was like this too. My bladder didn't grow as quickly as the rest of my body and I had accidents for a long time. We use pull ups at night and re use them if they aren't wet. After each pack is gone we try undies and he does ok for a month or two then starts wetting again...
    Anonymous

• Yes, she will grow out of it in her own time. Each child is different. I know kids who have been 6, 8, even 10 before being dry at night. It is all normal and simply depends on when their bladder matures enough to handle it.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 5:01 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It's pretty common. It's harder to control when they're asleep and so relaxed. She'll grow out of it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:19 PM on May. 16, 2011

• She will eventually.
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 8:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Perhaps try stopping liquids earlier then 6 30? she will eventually get it but it might take a bit.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 11:11 PM on May. 16, 2011

• i'm sure she'll grow out of it eventually
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 12:34 AM on May. 17, 2011