Question for Catholics, or Episcopal church goers......

Yesterday afternoon, I attended a Baptism, the Episcopal church has pretty much the same rituals as the catholic with the exception of a few things. Anyway, I once again reaffirmed why i don't like going to church at all, as the mass was undergoing there were a pitch for donations, and what they needed the money for, I do understand that this is how they operate and keep afloat, but does it have to be in a mass for Communion or Baptism?????or confirmation???

To me, it throws the meaning of the mass out the window, it commercializes it to the point of being meaningless, they do this every time, why can't they hit us for money on an everyday mass without special meaning? Am I the only one that gets pissed at this???

Asked by older at 4:44 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I'm Catholic and I feel the same way. I have even had a heated conversation with my priest about it. I still give, but not like I would if it wasn't asked "all the time"
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 4:46 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I have to agree with adnilm. I am Catholic, and there is a very reverent and respectful collection at each Mass. People can choose to have their wedding or baptism at a ceremony that does not include a Mass. That would be one way around it. The Bible says the Lord loves a joyful giver. I am happy to be able to give 10% to God, because all that I have came from Him. With all due respect, I suspect that this is not the only reason you do not attend church. It's your choice whether you go or not, but I'm not quite believing that the collection is the one and only thing that keeps you away.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• If you listen to the prayers that are said when the collection baskets go around they often have to do with offerings to God and a blessing of those offerings. It about giving of yourself back to God and His church, not always about the money.
    Not everyone goes to church every week and honestly, most people only go for weddings, funerals, baptisms. The reality is that the church needs the offerings to run, not all Catholics tithe. If every Catholic tithed, even 1%, things would be much better off. Instead we have a few devoted that tithe often and others that use the church to get the wedding they want and never look back.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 8:31 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Well then, I guess it's good that you aren't Catholic
    I don't think twice about it. I am in no way compelled to put any money in those baskets, anymore than you are. The church has expenses to meet, that's how they meet them

And I would challenge you to find a church service that doesn't have a collection, I've personally never attended a service at any church, Catholic or not that didn't have a collection
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:21 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Really older, that is so odd. Considering people have been making offerings to God since people have been attending temple or church for a very long time. People used to buy animals to sacrifice.

A church supports itself on collections. Not fundraisers. Part of church doctrine and biblical teaching is giving money to your church to pay the bills, support the priest, support the programs that taught the parents of the child you witnessed the baptism of.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:34 PM on May. 16, 2011

• You do realise that a portion of the tithing goes back to the community those who aren't Catholic that needs help along with those in our Church. A good portion of our last Sunday Mass went toward help those in the flood areas. It's not just about keeping the Church running it's helping those that have nowhere else to go. There are plenty that fall in between the cracks. Those are who we help. Also if you can't give money there other ways to give. Time and talent is huge here. Keeps the cost of running the Parish down. Tyhen there CAtholic relief which usually are on the ground running before the Red Cross. Again they don't have a big over head as the people that run it are volunteers, or religious who have taken a vow of poverty.
    daps

Answer by daps at 11:16 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Every mass has a collection.
    We had confirmation mass with the bishop on Sunday, and there was a collection. It's a natural part of the mass. A couple of times a year there is a bishop's appeal or Catholic Charities.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:11 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Are you talking about the offering? This is simply part of the economy of God. All of our resources are Gods and He requires a tithe from everyone. It pays for the church building, the pastor's salary, benevolence fund and so much more. It pays for the gifts to the baby who is being baptized. Not giving (or not providing the opportunity to give) is essentially stealing from God.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 9:08 PM on May. 16, 2011

• So your god isn't the God of the Bible then?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 9:22 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Idk, I've never seen much money-asking at the Catholic Masses I attend, but the Baptist and non-denom. services I've attended have always passed the basket several times during the service. Most Catholic priests are under pressure to announce the capital campaigns (which usually happen this time of year) during their Homily, and then there is a quick announcement after Mass. Our parish doesn't have "special" Masses for anything, except for funerals. All communions, confirmations, etc are done during regular Masses. However, considering most Catholic parishes depend on these campaigns for building repairs, etc, it's no wonder they ask for money. It really is the only way they get support. Most of what is given during the year in the basket that is passed, is used for everyday expenses to make the place run. Capital campaigns are for major work that needs to be done.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:22 PM on May. 16, 2011