Has your child ever done this? Do you know why they do it?

My 5 year old (almost 6) has this problem. Its been happening for a while now but seems to be happing less and less. It only happens when he is half asleep. But today for instance my daughter woke him up and he came down stairs and I asked him if he was sleeping and he only shook his head saying no. He came down off the steps and laid on the couch got up and walked into the kitchen. Next thing I know he is in there carelessly peeing in the trashcan. He got the wall the floor the side of the trash can. I think its been a little less than a year since the last time this happened and used to be very frequent a few years ago. I am sooo clueless as to why he is doing it.

MamaCass05

Asked by MamaCass05 at 4:45 PM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sounds like he was half asleep! When I get my little one up I take him immediately to the bathroom. I don't trust him to get there right away.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:47 PM on May. 16, 2011

• i would think that he is still asleep, even though he told you no when you asked him
    amy585

Answer by amy585 at 4:47 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, my son did this a few times around the age of 4 or so. He was definietly asleep although he 'half' answered us when we talked to him. Just was a deep sleeper and slept walked a few times. I am just glad he did not fall down the stairs!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 4:47 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Does he sleepwalk? That's kind of what it sounds like. I tried to pee in a dehumidifier in the middle of the night when I was little, and my sister peed in the clothes hamper once. I would be encouraged by the fact that it is decreasing in frequency. Maybe get in the habit of having him try to go potty in the toilet as soon as he wakes up just in case he is still not quite awake.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Double check w/ his Dr. at his next appt., but it sounds to me like he is not fully awake yet. Like he's sleepwalking. -lol- what a fine way to start the day tho! :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I actually knew someone who had this problem and was told it was a side-effect from a sleep-walking condition. The person seems awake, can interact with you, but really is still asleep.  I'd recommend bringing it up to his pediatrician.

JewelryDivaLisa

Answer by JewelryDivaLisa at 4:51 PM on May. 16, 2011

• No he doesn't sleep walk ... the only time he "sleep walks" is when he gets up and pees somewhere he is not supposed to. And I don't usually do the potty routine with him he has been potty trained since about 2 1/2 years old. I quit doing that long ago.
    MamaCass05

Comment by MamaCass05 (original poster) at 4:51 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My son did this once. He got up, walked through the whole house to pee in the garbage can in the kitchen. I was asking him what he was doing, and even shaking his shoulders. All he could do was sob he didn't know and kept peeing. The next morning he had NO recollection of that happening.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• That is exacty what my son does Rosehawk.
    MamaCass05

Comment by MamaCass05 (original poster) at 6:52 PM on May. 16, 2011