Would you be ok with someone on food stamps buying these items?

I have learned that you should not buy junk food on food stamps, and you should opt for whatever is cheapest. You're on FS, no luxuries allowed, right? But I was thinking this is kind of contradicting in a way. Don't buy that name brand for more, pick the off brand because it's cheaper, but don't buy junk food on food stamps either. Ok, got it. So here's a few items I buy that are healthier, but cost more? What's a person on FS suppose to do? Lean/ extra lean hamburger meat. Healthier? Yes. More money? Yes. Whole wheat bread, whole wheat flour, tortillas, noodles/penne, whole wheat anything, more $$$ than enriched, but healthier. Case of bottled water. Ohhh nooo. FS people should only drink from the faucet!!! Better than a pack of Cola though, right? Turkey sausage, center cut bacon...Healthier options, but more money. Fresh vegetables are more pricey too. Orange juice. Quite pricey. Popcorn. Not the butter slathered kind. The 94% fat free kind packed with protein and generally healthy for you. The most natural peanut butter, more expensive. Whole grain waffles for breakfast. Healthier things, but all are more expensive, so which would you rather see? I am not on fs by the way, I was just thinking about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Shopping

• Im not on FS but Im on a budget too and I'm faced with those choices as well. I think our government needs to get involved and either allow more $ on FS or lower the prices on healthy foods. Milk should not cost over $2 a gallon anywhere. At least you are buying peanutbutter, milk , and meat where others are buying, pop, Hostess, and hotdogs. We just do what we can to the best our abilities.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 4:57 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I am on Foodstamps, the economy eventually caught up with my family and fucked us in the ass. So yea, we bit the bullet and resorted to FS. What some people (the holier than thou's) don't get is that my spending amount is not unlimited. I have a monthly allottment that I must stick to or I'm screwed until the next month. Therefore, i STILL have to budget and plan, look for deals and savings, use coupons, etc, do whatever I have to do to make my monthly amount stretch. And so far so good, I spend anywhere from $65-95/week using my FS card for a family of 5. One thing I won't do, however, is allow anyone to belittle, judge or tell me how i need to spend that money. As long as my family is being fed, that's all I care about, and yes, I do get a couple of yummy treats each week for the kids. Whoever doesn't like it can bite me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:08 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I could care less what people buy with their stamps, it is theirs to buy what they wish.

Answer by older at 4:52 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Please tell me why it is any of your business what someone chooses to buy with their food stamps? Are you the one in need of groceries? No. Are you SOLELY responsible for paying their grocery bill? No. Just because you pay taxes that in turn HELP support government programs doesn't give you the right to make decision on what other people deserve, not does it make it any of your business.
    Anonymous

• As long as people use the FS program for what it is intended for, do not defraud it, do not sell their food stamps, I could care less. I paid into the system for years, had some bad circumstances in the last few years and have been on FS for the last few months. It is really nobody's business what I put in my cart if I am paying with FS! Believe me, if all you have is FS to feed your kids, you are not going to be wasting money buying stuff you cannot afford! They don't give you very much!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 4:57 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I am not on Fs, I do live sometimes paycheck to paycheck. I don't get junk, but I get what will last us the longest.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 4:53 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I dont think ANYONE should be standing over your shoulder at the check out scrutinizing what you buy! Would you tell the overweight person not to buy high caloric foods? Would you tell the mom w/ her kids in tow that she cant buy a little treat for her kids who may've just brought home great report cards, or did extra chores at home? I know I wouldn't. And if I were on FS, you dont know me, or my circumstances, so don't judge what I buy to take home to my family. It's not anyone's place, taxpayer or not.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:55 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I am on FS and i usually get a mix of whatever is cheapest and healthy stuff. I get the generic whole wheat pasta (and save 80 cents) there ARE ways around it. The most expensive stuff are fresh fruits and veggies but alot of times you can get them frozen for MUCH cheaper and its better than canned. I know alot of people on FS who spend it on junk food. Im not saying NO junk food, but i try to keep it at a minimum. Usually its just quickie snacks like Dora fruit gummies or granola bars for my 2 yr old.
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 4:57 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I don't know where Anonymous above shops, but it isn't in the land of reality. My husband and I both work, he full-time and I part-time, and we qualify for food stamps. We get a grand total of $64 a week to feed a family of four. Our pay barely covers our rent and utilities. I work part-time because we have one vehicle that he needs to get to his job. I am limited to working a job within walking distance. There are no buses in our area. I never buy the best cuts of anything or junk food. I do treat my kids to diet soda on thier birthdays. Shoot me! We stick to bare-bones grocery shopping and I don't buy any prepared foods. You have a lot of nerve talking about how you work hard for your money and have to scrimp and save. What the hell do you think we do??????
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:11 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My comment wasn't aimed at the OP. We must have posted at the same time. Sorry if you thought I was talking to you.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:39 PM on May. 16, 2011