Have you ever adopted a pet?

We are thinking of adopting a dog. A bigger size dog, not a little one. We were wondering what your experiences are. Should we go with a puppy or an older dog, why/why not?

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 4:56 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Pets

• I personally like puppies so they are trained MY way and I don't have to guess or rely on what others have taught them. I want to be able to say "Sit" and the dog to have to go it not learn the spanish word or say "on your bottom" or something like that.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:58 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I hope you intent to go to a shelter and save a life, it would be easier to go with an older dog because he /she is probably trained somewhat. A puppy would be so nice too, there is nothing like puppy breath and being able to train your dog to your liking, either way, I use to think that puppies would last longer in the shelter before they euthanize but I was wrong, they are killed at the same rate older dogs are, specially if they have some sort of sickness, like eye infections or some silly thing that can be easily be fixed with antibiotic, the shelter gets paid for each dog or cat they kill, they sell the corpses to different organizations, this is one of the many reasons they are killed.

Answer by older at 5:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I adopted a cat, so I can't give you a ton of advice, but I would suggest you get a puppy or at least a younger one because they are much easier to train than older dogs. Good luck!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 5:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• First of all- let me say what a great thing you are doing by adopting -no by SAVING a beloved pet! As to the age of the pet, that's up to you & your lifestyle. Do you have the time/energy for a puppy? If you dont feel like dealing w/ the training, the chewing, etc., get an older dog. He/she will pick you! :) We went to our local animal shelter & our little adopted member of the family is now 11 y/o & is the sweetest dog. She came spayed & shots up to date. When the time comes for us to adopt again, we will go back to the local shelter. GL & God Bless! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:01 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I forgot to tell you, I have adopted and foster more animals than I care to count.

Answer by older at 5:01 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes I do plan on adopting from a shelter. Also, I have a 4 year old boy. He's been around dogs and does fine. And so what are some things I should consider when deciding?
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 5:03 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Adopting an older dog has so many benefits. They are usually already housebroken or close to it. Depending on the age they are out of the puppy stage.  I prefer adopting the older gus because they get over looked and you can find some great dogs. My daughters best friend was an 8 year old aussie we took in. He was amazing with her!  I did not have to housebreak him and he needed very little training. Some do need more time put into them as far as training but it is worth.  Another positive about adult dogs is their personalilty has already developed so you should have a pretty good idea of the dog you are adopting. Puppies are fun but a lot of work and you don't know what they will be like when they grow up. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:08 PM on May. 16, 2011

• A good shelter will ask for your preferences in an animal then introduce you to a few and let y'all get to know each other a bit.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:15 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Hi!

Yes I have adopted several pets in the past. I adopted "Trevor" - My 14 year old neutered Black Lab mix from a local pet adoption center when he was only 9 months old. He was to be euthanized in 7 days. I specifically asked for the pets which were going to be euthanized and are usually kept in another area separate from the newest arrivals. (You can do that you know!)
    I also adopted a 2 year old neutered male purebred blonde Schnauzer from a small shelter in Norman OK. and only paid $10.00 for him! He was a great boy too! Again I asked if they had pets in another location that might be euthanized soon.
    Adoption of a dog or cat of a particular age is a personal choice. Personally I plan on adopting an older pet the next time around since most of them don't get adopted easily. I would consider it an absolute blessing to enjoy the company of an older pet (adult or beyond) for whatever time God allowed me to love them.
    SarahFarah

Answer by SarahFarah at 5:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Shelters will not let u adopt if u have any kids under the age of 8.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:43 PM on May. 16, 2011