Am I just being hormonal or would this bother you? LONG

Let me just start out by saying I usually LOVE my MIL, and I KNOW I have been a little off the deep end lately because I'm 38 weeks pregnant and tired and uncomfortable, etc.

Well...today I had an OB appointment at 11:20a and it was a rare time that my LP got to go with me. When we got there, I found out that the results of my Group B Strep test were positive, so we had to get some information about that, with our two daughters squirreling around the doctor's office, and talk about inducing next week so I would know that I would make it to the hospital with enough time to get the antibiotics I need during labor and delivery. It was stressful for me, because this is my first time dealing with it GBS, but afterward I was starving and we went out to a decent lunch with the kids.

While we were waiting for our food, my MIL called at least 6 times. He ignored her every time until I told him it isn't like her to call like that and to answer, because it could be an emergency. Hell no it wasn't an emergency...she wanted him at her house NOW to take her to go buy flowers and fertilizer. NOW. The conversation I heard was "mom...this is my only day off this week, and we are out of town at the doctor's appointment...no mom, for the baby...why should she have to go by herself...no, she doesn't drag me to every one, the only one I've gotten to go to this time is the ultrasound...I will get there when I get there...yes, today. Yes, as soon as I get back to town."

EXCUSE ME, WOMAN!!!!!!! Your baby boy has been with me for over a decade and has produced 3 children with me....I think it is okay for him to go to two effin OB visits a pregnancy! SOME MEN go to ALL the doctor's appointments...wouldn't THAT cut into YOUR day off with your son!

It just made me feel like she definitely thought she should come first and foremost in his life despite the fact that he has had his own family established for years. He goes over there after work all the time to help her with things, because we both know that she is getting older and needs additional help with routine things now. Hell, I take her to her appointments and help her with errands while he is at work. I just feel like she should not EXPECT his days off to be dedicated to her, nor get an attitude when he is out with his family on his day off, especially for a prenatal appointment that didn't even go well!

Am I overreacting?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:56 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• Nope, I'd be pissed too. The good thing though is hubby told her what he did, most guys would have cut the day short.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 5:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• In your condition I dont think your overreacting. I would probably over react too.
    Ashley-England

Answer by Ashley-England at 5:03 PM on May. 16, 2011

• No sorry momma ((((HUGS)))) its one thing to help but to demand it?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:03 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I would be pissed too. My in laws are like this and it drives me crazy. Seriously, on my birthday two years ago SO 'had' to take his dad three hours away for a dr. appointment. Seriously? On my brithday? Gone all day? Nice.

I am totally with you on this one, I would be pissed.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like she is spoiled. Apparently her husband is no longer around? It she's over 60 or helpless with tools, I can understand where she might need a little help, BUT I made arrangements ahead of time with my SIL for things other than emergencies. Going to Lowes for flowers is NOT an emergency. And, since you usually get along with her, and your husband did the right thing. Maybe you should let it go.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 5:06 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Blah. She must be having my kind of day. I wouldnt feel bad for being upset over it. But, don't linger on it.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:07 PM on May. 16, 2011

• No, I would be very p.o.'d. What you two do is your business and she should not call him several times for a non-emergency trip to the store, not to mention question him about why he'd be going to the doctor with you. I think it's great he got to go with you at least those two times. I would have loved even that much.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:09 PM on May. 16, 2011

• If she's old old I would drop it because SO did good. You know how old people get.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 5:15 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Oh honey, you're 38 weeks pregnant and had a rough morning. I'm completely sympathetic. Hell yes, I'd be pissed. She was way out of line. It sounds like he handled it just fine to me. Way to go on not marrying a wuss of a man!!! It sounds like he has a good balance of respecting/helping his Mom, but defending his family when he needs to. Good for you!
    So...my answer is, she was wrong, he handled it, you're about to pop so you're completely hormonal and probably irritated by way more than you normally would be. Come here and vent to us and don't say anything about it to her. That will only stir the pot and damage your relationships. Let's face it...your man married you because you were sane and perhaps nothing like his Mama? ;-)
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 5:16 PM on May. 16, 2011

• nope your not overreacting I feel the same way but only it's his mom and dad!!!!!!I'd be glad that he told her what he did and stood up for you I'd probably not be so helpful she needs to realize that you have a family and a baby to be born anytime now and that going to her house to help with errands and Dr's visits and stuff isn't going to be a priority in ya'lls lives for a long while!!!!!

traren

Answer by traren at 5:22 PM on May. 16, 2011