What are the strangest or most infuriating things people believe...

What are the strangest or most infuriating things people believe (or say) about people of your faith/religion as a group? And take a moment to dispel us!

For example, I am a Christian that worships at a Baptist church. I find it strange that people believe that all Baptists do not dance. I guess this is 1 part "Footloose" and 1 part there being so many different "types" of Baptist, and each church being independent, that some churches are more legalistic about this and get lumped into "Baptist" in general.

KateDinVA

Asked by KateDinVA at 4:59 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Religious Debate

• That you will die and go to hell if you don't believe what they believe.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 5:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I did a long term sub teaching job for a 2nd grade at a Catholic School. Although I am not Catholic, I helped them get ready for their 1st communion, May crowning & attended Mass w/ them every Friday. Even w/ all of those things, I was not permitted to take communion b/c I am not a Catholic. I thought God loved ALL His children!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:06 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I am a Pagan, why people believe that Pagans worship the Devil is beyond me, only some of us dance naked in the woods, and no we don't go around sneaking baby blood or killing animals. We do not use "dead" animals in our rituals, and we are not out to turn your beliefs. I am a Pagan because I believe in a God and a Goddess, it makes sense to me that there is a male and female for everything, my rituals, are mostly prayers, yes I light candles, yes I cast a circle for the bigger "prayers", it's to focus my energy and be safe while doing it. I do not believe in Hell as a fire burning your soul for eternity type of place.... I do not curse people, because what I send out comes back to me. I hate that people assume the worst out of any religion or spiritual walk that people take. I'd rather you stop and ask me questions than assume I am like the quack that did something in the "name" of my belief system.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 5:07 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I don't know if this is a religious belief. But there is a tradition in a few faiths to disown or excommunicate a member of the family who changes from the main family faith to another one.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 5:12 PM on May. 16, 2011

• That we (the collective group of everyone who isn't the "right" kind of Christian) are being guided by Satan, an entity we don't even believe in.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:14 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Kitchenwitch, thank you for your answer. I know, albeit at an acquaintance level, too many pagans to think quite a few of those less savory "missed marks", but I think I just threw out wholesale anything I had learned from Hollywood so I was back to knowing almost nothing. I promise not to consider watching all season of Charmed enough to know much of anything, though :-) I especially appreciate your explanation of curses - that not only that you don't, but that what you send out comes back to you.
    KateDinVA

Comment by KateDinVA (original poster) at 5:15 PM on May. 16, 2011

• To clear it up on a few, my question is about what others mistakenly believe about your beliefs, not what you think people don't understand about their own.
    KateDinVA

<<,
    Did they explain to you why you couldn't take communion?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:17 PM on May. 16, 2011

• That Catholics are not Christian.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:18 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Did they explain to you why you couldn't take communion?

I was kind of curious why that wasn't obvious, since she was involved in prep for 1st Communion...isn't that part of the curriculum?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:20 PM on May. 16, 2011