has anybody had a root canal? i have to have one i want to knwo honestly if they are painful while they are doing it? i have a high tolerance for pain so im hoping i can handle it

vadasmom

Asked by vadasmom at 2:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Health

• I have had 9 in my life and none were painful. The most pain that was involved was the needle going in to numb the area.

Basically you are laying in a chair with a piece of rubber over your mouth listening to terrible noises and tasting awful tastes, but no pain. They are not fun but not as terrible as some people describe.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 2:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I've had a few of them. Just be sure you are numb enough. It takes A LOT of novocaine for me to get numb. One dumbass dentist didn't believe me (that I needed more novocaine) and I felt the entire thing! I also have a high tolerance to pain, but that one particular root canal was hell. It was the last root canal I ever had. I'd rather have a back molar extracted than go through that again. You can always ask for nitrous, just in case. And be sure you get some pain pills! They say it won't hurt after you get home but it does.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• If you are in pain after they numb you then you tell them to stop and do it again. There should be NO reason why they would continue the procedure and you are in pain. They have the equipment and tools there to keep you comfortable. Don't let them tell you any different! It may take a few times to get you numb. The minute you feel pain raise your hand up and get them to stop. You will do great! Don't worry yourself over it....just relax. If you have headphones and music...then take them with you and keep yourself distracted. Best wishes!

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• just so long and boring ,,,,,,,,bring music!!!!
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• My mom has had two I think. She says they're overrated and she felt no pain.

I think it all has to do with how well they numb you and how skilled the dentist is, yanno?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I've had one. It was annoying, not horribly painful. Cameron is right, bring music if the dentist doesn't have some form of entertainment.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I was an Endodontic Dental assistant for three years. I would first advise going to an endodontist, these are dentist that only do root canals. They have an extra three years of schooling to do it so they know what they are doing. Your time in the chair will be a lot less too. Regualr dentists can do RCT'S but the endo's have all the fancy equipment to get the job done with no pain and in half the time. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.
    ceciandrew

Answer by ceciandrew at 7:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I'm going to be honest vada. I had two root canals done. I ended up losing both of these teeth five years latter. (I hate the dentist, and only go when I need to) Which is probably the problem for me. I hope you have better luck.-

YaYaMomof2

Answer by YaYaMomof2 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2008