Explaining to DD about csection w/o freaking her out?

So today I found out I need a csection. Its scheduled for Wednesday but I haven't told DD (She's 9) yet. I'm afraid it will freak her out when she asks whats a csection. Whats the best way to tell her while not making her too nervous. Btw, I'm nervous enough I don't need a hysterical tween on my hands!

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 5:47 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• BTW, I had two C-sections . . . the one that was actually planned was a breeze. If you are nervous when you get in there, just keep be open ioth your doc and the anathesiologist. They are really good at talking you through it and calming you down . . .

It will be great.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:42 PM on May. 16, 2011

• First, I'm sorry you're nervous and need the surgery! What's going on that you need a C-section?

Second, just tell her in age-appropriate terms why you need to have surgery and leave it at that. "I have to have the baby by having surgery because ____________." If she wants details about the procedure, tell her that they make an incision in your belly and help you have the baby through that instead of through your vagina, and that when it's necessary it's a good thing, because it helps mom and baby be healthy.

I hope this helps, and congratulations on your upcoming addition!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:51 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Tell her that they are going to cut your belly because it is safer for you and her new sibling. You don't have to go into detail, if you don't show her your fear she'll be fine, just make it sound like it is, it happens everyday and there is nothing to worry about. Healing and Calming energies being sent your way. Brightest Blessings.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 5:52 PM on May. 16, 2011

• You can say the baby needs special help coming out, so the doctors have a very special proceedure that they do to make sure that the baby and you will stay okay and healthy. You will need to be gone a few extra days because they want to take really, really good care of you and the baby. Tell her that they do this all the time, and it is really wonderful that they take such good care of new mamas and babies. Tell her you will miss her, but are very very excited about her being a big sister!

If she asks details . . . .
    "They will take the baby out of my belly from here. They have very special medicine, so I won't feel anything, and the baby won't feel anything. It is very safe."

As long as she knows you will be okay, it shouldn't freak her out.

Hugs mama! And congratulations! Best of luck for an easy proceedure.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Thanks. I'm not sure she'll let me get away with telling her as little detail as possible. She's very inquisitive and normally wants to know every little bit. I'll try to just keep it in general terms though. As far as trying to not show my own nervousness, don't think thats possible at this point. Both me and DH are worried over it. Just because we both have a phobia of surgery.

To the first poster, the baby is about 11lbs and we decided the chance of him being stuck outweigh the chance of complications from a csection. I'm 41 weeks so I can't wait any longer.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 6:24 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My daughter was 9 when her sister was born via csection, she was 8 when her brother was born also as a planned csection. She didn't have a problem with it - in fact she thought it was less "gross" than a vaginal delivery! She asked questions and I told her all about the spinal block, where they would cut, how they would stitch it back up, etc. It didn't excite her at all.
    In fact, she told me the other day that when she has kids she wants a csection, so now I have to convince her it's NOT better!

Answer by missanc at 2:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• perhaps you two can watch an episode of baby story on the Tlc channel...they usually show alot of c-section type of deliverys...
    its not like she is going to be in the delivery room with you.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:13 PM on May. 20, 2011