Why do you think most cultures were obesessed with life after death?

I am just curious. Do you think it is because they feared death? Do you think it is because they were wanting more? I sometimes view life after death hopes as almost a selfish thing because it makes me consider my reasoning behind it and I realize that if I wish there to be life after death that means I am wanting more than what I have right now. I am hoping I will continue on and be aware of my surroundings. What are your thoughts? I no longer believe or rather think about life after death because to me it is not important considering my bodies energy eventually dies off.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 6:19 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because anything is possible life after death is possible.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:22 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I personally don't thin "life" is possible after death but maybe our energy goes somewhere else. I don't know
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 6:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Maybe because when the idea first occured the life expectancy for a human was about 20 years old. But like pinkdragon36 said, Anything is actually possible.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:24 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Because who wants to think of this being "it". People want to believe that there is something better waiting for them after all the struggles we have in life. I personally don't believe in life after death and believe you need to make the best of it now. There is no second chance.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:27 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Because ancestor worship was tied into passing on knowledge. There needed to be a framework to justify and explain the importance of learning things.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:33 PM on May. 16, 2011

• That makes sense NP
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It's probably because of the finality of death in this life. That the person is no longer here.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:50 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Personally I think its because for most its just part of the circle of life so why not figure out what they can or at least try and ask some questions,etc.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:06 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Death is a very final option that many people are uncomfortable with for a variety of reasons, loss of life, wisdom, of leaving loved ones behind, etc. I feel any idea of an afterlife was invented to help comfort these fears and allow people to live with comfort after their loved ones had passed.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:08 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Kristi I agree
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 7:46 PM on May. 16, 2011