My son whom has autism is mean to the animals.. why?

he only hurts the cats.

EvansMommy31605

Asked by EvansMommy31605 at 6:20 PM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• A social story is a good point. It may be that he just hasn't grasped that the tail is a part of the cat and the noise he is making is him being in pain. Make it a calm positive story with good pictures. Maybe even just an animal book...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• my ds, 3, is mean to my cats sometimes. he has to tell them sorry, give them a kiss and gets put in time out. does he have a lot of stuffed animals? he might not realize the difference yet.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 6:29 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Have you tried a social story explaining that the cat's tail is a part of his body and pulling hurts him just like if you were to pull his hair. Something like: Silly Billy Sam has a cat. He knows that a cat is alive and has feelings like he does. He knows that cats like to be touched in kind ways like petting. He likes to make his cat happy by petting his soft fur. When he is done petting his cat he washes his hands.
    Anonymous

• Have you taught him how to handle cats? How old is he?
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:25 PM on May. 16, 2011

• yes we work with him on the animals all the time.. he's 6
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 6:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• i guess i never thought about that.. yes he does have a lot of stuffed animals .. i was just thinking that he might like the sound that the cat makes when he pulls his tail.. he always gos to time out for it and had to pet the cat nicely but he still does it.. idk what to do.. i might have to find a new home for my cats =/
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 6:38 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Autistic kids don't even really conceptualize that people have feelings, much less pets. Constant supervision or not having pets are the only answers.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 3:29 AM on May. 17, 2011

• @ black are you saying just take everything out of their life that he doesn't understand?!?! To me that doesn't make any since. I'm making his life as normal as i can.. i try not to treat him like hes "different" I think its only holding him back. I am going to continue to work with him on thing he doesn't understand. Because i believe he will learn! Lots of doctors and people told me he would never talk.. and well i worked with him for years and last year he started talking.. he is now in public school and doing wonderful.. he has some extra help from his teachers aid.. but you know if i gave up on him and took away what he didn't understand i don't think he would have come this far! Im very proud of my son and i'm not giving up! but thank you for your thoughts i just don't agree i think it just makes me want to work with him harder! @ the anonymous answer ..U HAVE NO IDEA AND CLEARLY DON'T UNDERSTAND. god be with u
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Rehome those poor cats... that is animal abuse.
    Anonymous