Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

I spend most of my days caring fr my elderly father, is there any compensation thru medicare etc. for that?

I spend my days at least 16 hrs. caring for my father he has a catheter he uses a walker he is a diabetic, he cannot drive, so I take him to his Dr appointments he has a nurse come in 3 times a week and also PT and OT also 3 times a week, he is incontinent, My husband and I also relocated to another state because my mother is unable to tke care of him she doesn't drive and cannot hear well, a nursing home is not an option and they cannot afford to pay me for private care, I am also a state tested nursing assistant, although I can only work part-time because I am needed at home I prepare my parents meals and do the basic housekeeping etc.. Any info that can help out there?

Answer Question

Asked by StressedOut107 at 6:31 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Health

Level 9 (312 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • social security pays caretakers you would have to call them and find out how.

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:32 PM on May. 16, 2011

  • When my mother was living she did not qualify for Medicare but there was a home health company in our area that we used for her daily care and I was employed by them to care for her at 30 hours/week.
    We went thru Social Services (Adult protective services) to have this done.
    They came out and screened us, seen that she needed daily care and someone with her while I was at work, and told me about the company that they worked with to get the Assistants and I could be a caregiver to her, just had to apply.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:34 PM on May. 16, 2011

  • Yes there is. I got paid by the state to take care of a friend who was disabled. You are considered a PCA(personal care assistant) and most states offer funding for this. Contact your county human services and ask them where to refer you.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:36 PM on May. 16, 2011

  • as far as the finances go, i wouldnt have a clue other than to suggest to google it
    or maybe ask your dad about his work benefits or retirement...a lot of times there is left over money that nobody claims too
    all i can say is pray, pray, pray and have faith, god is watching over and cares for you

    Answer by Liz4Life at 7:11 PM on May. 16, 2011

  • For you? No, not for your own parent. Been there done that. You may find some local programs depending on your state so check with social services There really isn't much though.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:27 PM on May. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.