Stephen Hawking, the famous British physicist, called the notion of heaven a "fairy story" in an interview with The Guardian newspaper published today. Do you agree?

The comments are seen as going beyond those in his 2010 book, "The Grand Design," which stirred up passions with the observation that science can explain the universe's origin without invoking God.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/16/6654463-hawking-there-is-no-heaven

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:44 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with him, but generally try to be respectful of those who do believe it literally. I also don't believe in Hell as a literal place, and think it's all based on fear of death. Understandable. If it comforts people, I don't feel the need to tell everyone I think they're wrong or anything like that. I find many of his studies interesting, and I don't know if I agree with everything, but I have generally found him to be quite knowledgeable in cosmology, etc.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:56 PM on May. 16, 2011

• He feels he has "proven" the non-existence of G-d somehow and all he did

No, he never claimed such he simply showed that a God was not needed for the creation of the universe and due to laws of gravity and physics the universe as we know it could have come about on it's own without need of a supernatural deity.

--

I agree w/ Kristi. There may be later quotes too, but this is what he said:

"The quantum theory of gravity has opened up a new possibility, in which there would be no boundary to space time. . . There would be no singularities at which the laws of science broke down and no edge of space-time at which one would have to appeal to God or some new law to set the boundary conditions for space-time. . .The universe would be completely self-contained and not affected by anything outside itself. It would neither be created nor destroyed. It would just BE. . .What place, then, for a creator?"~ Stephen Hawking
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• He is entitled to his own beliefs and so are those who believe in heaven.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:56 PM on May. 16, 2011

No, he never claimed such he simply showed that a God was not needed for the creation of the universe and due to laws of gravity and physics the universe as we know it could have come about on it's own without need of a supernatural deity. Not that God does not exist. There is a difference between the two. For you to state that this shows a lack of respect and tact merely shows your own disrespect for beliefs that do not agree with your own.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:03 PM on May. 16, 2011

• He is completely entitled to feel however he wishes, based on his studies and observations of the Universe.
    I will say however, that I trust his ideas over a book. as he is here and now, studying our world to the best of his ability.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:18 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree with him, and think he is an absolutely brilliant man.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 8:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I absolutely agree. We will just cease to exist. The mind shuts down and deteriorates. End of story.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:18 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think Hawking is a brilliant man and, yes, I do agree with his assessment of heaven.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Considering that no one really knows what happens after death, but those who have died, I think that we base our ideas on the after life on what we hope it will be and what comforts us.

So because he believes it is a "fairy story", does that take anything away from your beliefs?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:49 PM on May. 16, 2011

• No, I don't agree with him. Which only goes to show that even geniuses can reach illogical conclusions some times. He feels he has "proven" the non-existence of G-d somehow and all he did was put out a theory that gravity could in theory create something out of nothing. That really doesn't take G-d out of the equation, and yet he was confident in reaching a conclusion that really isn't consistent with the arguments.
    But he's free to believe whatever he wants, we all are. I do think, though, that he could have a little more tact and respect for the beliefs of others which, again, shows that even geniuses can be clueless about certain things.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:54 PM on May. 16, 2011