How can someone bf if they were never pregnant or .....

If the milk dried up? I read about an adoptive mom was somehow was able to breastfeed. Then I read someone suggested to another Mom to try to bf a 5 week old baby who had only been formula fed. I am NOT judging it or knocking it at all!! It's great. I just am curious how it can happen. Has anyone ever been able to bf an adopted baby or got milk back after it dried up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• it is possible!!!! i havent personally done it but i know of people who have
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:52 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Medication. The mom can take supplements
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:53 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It's not totally succesful. It's not easy. I had a baby and was put on meds for lactating and they didn't work.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:56 PM on May. 16, 2011

• There is medication that stimulates lactation-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It is called induced lactation and it is indeed possible. There are certain meds you take for those who have never been pregnant and then pump and put the child to breast. It is also recommended that if you have to give formula at first DO NOT do it in a bottle, but rather a supplemental nursing system. I know an adoptive mom who did indeed induce lactation and she started 2 months before hand and pumped and by the time the baby was born she only needed to use the pumped milk through a supplemental nursing system for 6 weeks before she had enough of her own milk. They went on to nurse for 22 months. That child NEVER had any formula thanks to moms pumping before hand and a little bit of donor milk from friends.
    Anonymous

• Ugh. Of course someone HAS to bring the *evil* formula into it. Just love that. Is answering the question ever possible here?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:21 PM on May. 16, 2011