Is my 8 year old the only kid who says things i would have been spanked for?

He shocks me everyday and he says things in front of me and my husband and laughs like he is 30 and allowed to say crude things. They aren't the basic bad words but they are bad so i am thinking maybe he doesnt know how bad they are. He called the people on his baseball video game "ya bunch of homos" I cried. Someone on a commercial said something with getting laid in the phrase and he says " HAHA getting laid!" and things like butthole, sucks, ect. - OMG where is he getting this from? He says it's his friends older brother and that everyone says it. My 2 year old now says crap instead of poop and my heart is breaking. I punish him for using the words and it's like it's everyday language and he just can't break the habbit. What do I do?

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 6:50 PM on May. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sadly I think it's our society. Is it? I mean when I was younger (and im only 26) you just didn't say those things, if you did you DID NOT say them in front of adults. I just don't know how to fix this
    Ethans_Ma

Comment by Ethans_Ma (original poster) at 6:51 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Like he said he is getting it from his friends older brother.
    Children need to spend time with children their own age. Once they are around those older than they are, and at a different level than they are they will copy what they hear/see, most of the time having no idea what they are saying is not proper as they hear the older ones saying/doing it and finding enjoyment in what their actions, and sadly as they get older it will be harder to break them if parents do not nip it in the bud now.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:58 PM on May. 16, 2011

• hugs you must be so frustrated...unfortunately its what they are exposed to outside of our homes. i think you and your husband need to continue to be aggressive in teaching him that what he is saying is disrespectful and hurtful. good luck...

happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 6:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I sure would have gotten my butt beat for those words and sadly I do believe it is now our society causing our child to not see these words as bad or hurtful.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 6:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• yes, its society..and he is a boy. i would just teach your son that there is a time and a place for his language.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:06 PM on May. 16, 2011

• To a degree we have the same problem. We just keep telling them they can't use those words or that language until they get a job. Tonight's conversation revolved around what the middle finger means...
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:45 PM on May. 16, 2011

• my dd told me to f*ck off the other day and reflex took over she was punished to the 3rd degree spanking grounded and soap then bed
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 7:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• i nor my dh speak like that and i would have had abusted lip for talking 2 any adult like that
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 7:51 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Honestly, if you have already explained to him that these words are bad, I would start taking away a toy or privilege every time you hear one of those words and he will have to earn them back. Put up a sticker chart and every day that he goes without using his potty mouth, give him a sticker. When he goes a week with all his stickers, he gets a toy back.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My DS will get spanked for talking like that. Fortunately he knows better (maybe because he's gotten his butt popped for it previously) but he knows there are "big people words" that he's just not allowed to say under any circumstance no matter who he hears say it. I don't curse in front of him but I know he's going to hear it so I try to make sure he knows the difference between good and bad words.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 10:00 PM on May. 16, 2011