4.5yo with allergies, can the dr help?

My 4.5yo is having a horrible time with her allergies/sinus...
For the past 3 weeks she has had a runny nose almost daily! And the OTC drugs we can give her doesnt do much.
Every night she isnt getting good sleep & then she wakes up hacking up flem & has a runny nose all day. And (understandably) its starting to make her cranky.

Is there something the dr. can do for her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would try an allergist. I had to when I was a child. I took allergy shots for a few years until I "grew" out of the allergies. I can only imagine how miserable she is. I hope you can find something to help her!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 6:58 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes. Go to the pediactric allergist. There are some nasal sprays that are really good at helping (prescription), and there are also many things you can do around the home to get her further from her threshold.

Make sure her bad and pillow have allergy/ dustmite encasements.
    Wet dust her room at least once a week.
    Vaccum her floors at least twice a week.
    Use only perfume free/dye free laundry detergent and NO fabric softener.
    Do not use scented products or perfumes in the house.
    Use hypoallergenic body wash on her.

You also want to find out is she has any food allergies or not, because avoiding those foods can help with the runny nose.

Good luck@!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• OOOps. Bed, not bad. sorry.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:06 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I give my Son Children's Liquid Zyrtec & it works great. Also we don't open windows to let the pollen inside, don't wear shoes in the house, limit outdoor activities when the pollen count is high & most important BATHE him before he goes to bed or in the afternoon if we are out in the morning. Get the pollen off them & their surroundings is key. I shower too when I come inside since I have seasonal allergies as well.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:20 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Our doctor prescribed Singular for my DD (4-year-old) which she takes daily. She used to suffer terribly with allergies, this time of year especially, but since Singular we have minimal issues and did away completly with the OTC meds and the vaporizer/humidfier.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:00 AM on May. 17, 2011