After adoption what are the first things you need to get switched to his new name?

My son was adopted by my husband april 19 and we haven;t got his new birth certificate yet but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by what all I need to get switched. Anyone gone through this and what is the best way to get started with the switch

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 6:54 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Adoption

• Just take the adoption papers, his most recent shot record and your ID to to social security office and they will change the ss card.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:33 PM on May. 16, 2011

• When I got married to my husband, the name change was pretty easy. My husband was the father of my son, but not on the birth certificate and my son didn't have his last name.
    When I called the state about the birthcertificate and explained the situation, all I had to do was bring in a document that had his new last name (a school record, insurance card etc). I sent that in and they created new a birth certificate with my husband's name and my son's new last name. Then I took that to Social Security and got a new ID.
    Hopefully its just that easy for you, I was kind of surprised how easy it was.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 9:56 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Matthewscandi is correct. That should be all that it takes.

Good Luck
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 6:55 AM on May. 19, 2011