Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do I deal with creditors?

Last year in July I went to the er because I was miscarrying. I incurred a 700 something dollar bill because of no insurance. We were told if we paid anything on it right then they would drop the note to 3oo something. We did and we recieved a bill for around 300 dollars. I did not pay this bill right away and received a bill from a collection agency asking for the 700. After a few months we were able to pay the hospital the full 300 something we owed. 6 weeks later we received a refund check for that amount saying my insurance, which finally kicked in, had covered it. Now I'm still getting letters and calls from a creditor asking for 700. How do I tell them they are wrong and this bill was taken care of?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • When they call, tell them what you wrote here and ask them what they need - i.e. copy of receipt - in order to close the file.

    Answer by SuperChicken at 7:07 PM on May. 16, 2011

  • Send/fax them copies of the letters you have recieved from the hospital and insurance stating it was paid.

    Answer by Soniam301 at 7:08 PM on May. 16, 2011

  • Even with the amount descrepancy, is that all I would have to do?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:12 PM on May. 16, 2011

  • It should be. Creditors are there to retrive money, so they won't make it easy for you :(

    Answer by Soniam301 at 7:15 PM on May. 16, 2011

  • Get a name of someone you spoke with that can explain the dollar amount discrepancy. Fax that along with receipts and whatever else they need to prove the bill has been paid in full.


    Answer by meooma at 7:39 PM on May. 16, 2011

  • A lot of times companies don't listen to you because you are not a person of authority. I can tell you how to change all that REAL fast! Currently they are harassing you! Message me if you want to change it!

    Answer by kbishop8688 at 8:37 PM on May. 16, 2011

  • Its not as simple as the Above are trying to tell you..I think you need a letter or a phone call from an attorney.

    Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:20 PM on May. 16, 2011

  • The hospital billing people need to call the creditor (since they handed it over to them in the first place) and tell them it's been taken care of. Call the billing department of your hospital.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on May. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.