Bipolar

If someone has not been diagnosed with bipolar, therefore not on meds/treatment, can they still have a stable life? (ie. committed to their job, family, other activities)

I work with someone who has recently told us she is bipolar but she has been there so long, and says she does not medicate, than we have clients who are bipolar who cannot hold jobs, even while medicated.

Are there different levels of bipolar?

I am interested in learning more about bipolar, anyone living with it or know of anyone...please share.

thanks

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 7:15 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Health

• There are plenty of variables that can positively or negatively impact one's experience with any mental illness, including family and friend support system in place, economic status, work flexibility, the age when one begins treatment (usually the sooner the better), how the individual views mental illness in general, and how past episodes were handled.
    Shellbell001

Answer by Shellbell001 at 7:03 PM on May. 17, 2011

• it is unlikely that the symptoms won't get worse over time without medication, but not always to the point of being so severe they impact the ability to have a job
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:21 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes you can be a functional bipolar. Basically you have mood swings but not the the point that life is severely inhibited by the mood swings. DH is bipolar and has lived without medication for a year and a half now. Only because our insurance/situation has changed. He's certainly better with the meds, but he can function without them. He takes a multi-vitamin which helps a little bit. He does cycle, has his little quirks too like OCD, worrying more, etc... But he can cope.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:25 PM on May. 16, 2011

• everyone in my dads family is. my sister and my grandmother both have been diagnosed with bipolar, Schizophrenia Disorder, and psychotic. they are heavily medicated. I 've sometimes felt i've had some issues. when i was a teenager i went through some depression and major anxiety. i still have anxiety but i have learned to handle it. i don't take any kind of meds for any of that type stuff.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• ..i guess since everyone in my family has it i could be and just not be diagnosed. sometimes my dh tells me i'm bipolar. i feel healthy and fine though so why bother being drugged up?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:29 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Theere are 2 types of bipolar and I suggest u google it. I am bipolar, been on meds for 7 years and went off them a year ago. Sometimes its hard but I prefer being off meds.
    Anonymous

• Everyone's illness is a little different. Some swing harder and more rapidly. Some have mild swings, and can control it without meds. Some HAVE to take meds because they cannot function or seriously endanger themselves or other when manic.

The important thing is being in some sort of treatment and having a good relationship with a doctor. SOmeone needs to monitor the illness, just in case.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:42 PM on May. 16, 2011