Verbal Abuse?

My man is constantly calling me a dork. All the time. For ex. tonight I texted him that he gave my friend the wrong number about something and he wrote back, 'You gave her the wrong number dork.'

He does that ALL the time. and then I don't hear from him again. Is this considerded verbal abuse or mental abuse? Or am I taking this out of context. Is it normal to call names?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• No it is not normal and yes it is both verbal and mental abuse! He'd be out the door if he couldn't talk to me without calling me names.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:21 PM on May. 16, 2011

• if it bothers you (which it seems like it does) than i would talk to him about it. just be honest and say that it hurts your feelings.
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 7:22 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Honey anything that makes you feel uncomfortable can be abuse . No one should ever be little you are make you feel dumb. I think you need to find a good man that will lift you up and not try to lower your self esteem.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 7:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes its a form of verbal abuse cause its constant. if he was just joking than there would be no issue about it. Tell him how you really feel and hopefully he will slow up so he can grow up and use better names for you.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• That's a tough question b/c really it depends on his intent and how it makes you feel. I have friends who we call each other names like that and it's harmless and we don't care but my dh and I don't b/c it bothers us (him more than me to tell the truth) but I respect that he doesn't like us to call each other names even in jest. If he's saying it to break you down and make you feel bad and it does make you feel bad then it's abusive, especially if you've asked him to stop.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 7:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Tell him you you don't like being called a dork; it's disrespectful and he needs to stop it now. It sounds like his 'pet' name for you and he doesn't realize its offensive. Let him know.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree with the PP
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 7:25 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I call my husband a dork when he's being dorky or goofy. I don't mean it in an insulting manner. I'm just telling him he's being funny. We also call each other punk. But if you feel like he's insulting him you need to let him know how you feel. He might not know that you find it insulting.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 7:31 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Insulting you*
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 7:32 PM on May. 16, 2011

• in my opinion this could be verbal/mental abuse or it could be a loss of communication. i know that in texts its sometimes hard to determine what one says and how they mean it. for example my sister had thiss friend who had met my sisters boyfriend, she told my sister she had told her boyfriend "well good luck". now in the text it sounded like she was saying that it would never work and she was a horrible girlfriend, but the friend had not meant it like this at all. she had meant well i hope everything works out for you. if this is bothering you you should definelty confront him, and if he blows you off and continues to do it then i would get rid of him. verbal abuse is not to be taken lightly, and NOONE should ever make you feel inferior in any way.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 7:42 PM on May. 16, 2011