How long can you be pregnant with twins?

I am 36 weeks and 4 days ........ I have been told that twins usually come early . I just wondering how long is to long or is it just mental for the mom cuz you not able to do much after a while. I am going in 2morrow but I always hear the doctor tell me when they are ready or when something tells him it is time.

karing4elmas

Asked by karing4elmas at 7:21 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• there is no such thing as too long unless your uterus starts to break down or you lose fluid.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:22 PM on May. 16, 2011

• sorry, not uterus, but amniotic sac
    peanutsmommy1

• Most doctors wanna get twins out by 38-39 weeks.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 7:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• There is no reason to hurry things along. Twins do naturally tend to come earlier then a singleton, but that is mainly due to lack of space in there. As long as there are no signs of anything being wrong with them then let them stay in as long as they need to. The earlier they come the more likely there will be complications.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:32 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I know plenty of women who delivered full 40 week twins. It is just like all pregnancies in the sense that every pregnancy is different! Good luck momma! Congrats ahead of time. Enjoy the silence just a wee tad longer!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:34 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I've had 2 friends who had twins within the last year, who all went basically full term - the first they were going to let go into labor on her own, but she hadn't by 40 weeks so they induced her. The second was the same, but at 39 weeks the bottom baby flipped to breech position so they did a c-section at 39 weeks 2 days.
    Anonymous