Ever feel like punishing them is really just punishing yourself?

Took the kid's computer away for the day. Normally this (the few hours between dinner and getting ready for bed) is when he'd be all engrossed in it. Since he doesn't have one, he's systematically searching every corner, nook and cranny of his room to find "lost" toys he hasn't played with in ages. Usually the cheap, loud, noisy kind. I've kicked him back upstairs 6 times in the last half hour alone.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:24 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• The time outs and toy removal get exhausting some days. But at least these kids know I have boundaries. But it's annoying. I won't deny that! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:30 PM on May. 16, 2011

• laughingknow what you mean!!!!!!

Answer by older at 7:30 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes! We were going to go hang out with a friend of mine the other day, whose daughter happens to be DD's best friend. I was looking forward to seeing my friend, but DD flatly refused to pick up her toys, and I finally resorted to threats. "If you don't pick it up, we won't go." Not only did she not pick them up, she threw a (rare for her) tantrum. So - we didn't go. I wish I had made a different threat, lol.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:20 PM on May. 16, 2011

• good for you duster for sticking to your threat.

...yes. We get punished too...it beats the alternative of them walking all over us and being spoiled rotten though, I have to keep reminding myself of that.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 9:16 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Lord yes. Once we started having children, my mama told all of us that punishing children is like punishing yourself, and that it is much easier to let a child run wild was easier than making them mind...and that is why so many people want to be "best friends" instead of parents.

Keep up the good work mama. Stick to your guns. Stick out your "sentence" LOL.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:28 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Its good to take things away...before computers and all these electronics came out....there were other ways to entertain ourselves now kids dont know how to enjoy real life with some kind of gadgets.
    FayMeek

Answer by FayMeek at 9:43 PM on May. 16, 2011