How did you decide (children's guardian)?

How did you decide who gets your kids in case you and the child(ren)'s father dies? DH and I have been talking about this for a while and we can't agree.

kasey22

Asked by kasey22 at 7:51 PM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• You pick someone you both can trust and know they will bend over backwards for the kids even if your still here
    FayMeek

Answer by FayMeek at 9:09 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My best friend is my DS God mother.. we met a year bfore i got pregnant and my sperm donar ditched she basically was my "babies daddy" i would stay with her almost everynight sick or not she would take care of me and she even took me maturnity shopping for a suprise she is the BEST friend i could EVER ask for!!!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:55 PM on May. 16, 2011

• i havent decided really. i did tell my dh (my son's step dad..but only father he has known) if i die i would hope he still wants to be his dad..and he said he would. i also told him that i do not want anyone in my immediate family or his bio dads family getting custody. If i were to give guardianship right now to someone it would be my second cousin. She has a boy my son's age, is married and is having trouble having more children. I've never thought to ask her.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:58 PM on May. 16, 2011

• hell no.
    anthony442

Answer by anthony442 at 7:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, my parents. My parents can afford to care for all our kids and won't waste their inheritance.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Well, I had picked my brother and his wife. He is most like me in the world and a very loving supportive dad. Then, my sis-in-law cheated on him and might have had some addiction problems. sigh. It is a tough decision. Needless to say, we aren't going with them.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 8:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• For the moment we have my in-laws. They have the closet relationship to our kids than anyone else in the family. Our kids would be very comfortable with them. We have also tossed around the idea of dh's sister. The kids love her and she is very similar to us in many ways, but she is not married. We are waiting until she does get married, see who she marries before we change anything. Dh doesn't want to leave them to her now, have something happen and for her to never get married because she got our kids instead.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• it's not easy, but we decided on my SIL and Brother. They are most financially capable and are childless at this time (though not for lack of trying.) I don't know how my brother would handle being an instant dad to school aged children, but that's where I gotta have faith that he would do the best he could. Above all, I think it's about knowing you can trust the guardians to give unconditional love and put the kids needs before their own.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 8:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My oldest son will take out two youngest children.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:37 PM on May. 16, 2011

• ummm when pregnant with ds in 06 we talked alot about this. if something happens to both of us at the same time. his brother and wife will take the kids. my dear friend is godmother and he is god father. but we did explain that if it happened and my friend wants to visit she is aload to any time
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 9:07 PM on May. 16, 2011