Annoying neighbors and my dogs

My dh and I have lived in our house for about 4 years and have had the same neighbors. I have a pekingese outside in our gate that I have had for over 6 years. The neighbors have always acted like they're crazy over her and will throw food over our gate to her, even though we have asked them not to because all of the raw meat and table scraps they give her makes her not want to eat her dog food. My sister's dog was staying in the gate with her for a while but several times someone would open the gate and let her out and she eventually never came back. I had a chihuahua that I raised from a puppy and was about 4 years old and I put her outside for the first time ever and they fed her something and she died. OK, well anyway, they had the nerve to ask my husband today if they could have our pekingese because some woman they know saw her and wanted her. He told them no that I've had her for a while but now I'm scared that they are going to take her. What would you/should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Pets

• I would go ask them how they have the balls and nerve to ask if they can have one of your beloved family members and to stop their shit immediately.
    Anonymous

• I highly doubt someone is going to steal your dog on your property. If they did, they know you would call the police on them. I would be pissed about the feeding my dog without permission though. I sure hope you said something. If they came out and asked for your dog(which is way outta bounds) I'm sure they know they would be prime suspects.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• We had an american bull dog that several ppl had asked about. Woke up one morning and she was gone! So yeah, people will take them right from your yard!
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 8:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'd keep her inside, and only let her out to go potty. Supervise her too! And I would also suggest taking her to the local vet and micro chipping her as well!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:07 PM on May. 16, 2011

• buy a dog run... and locks for your gates...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 8:18 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'd keep her inside and watch her when I put her out to do her business. I'd also be looking into getting locks on my gates. It would make me nervous.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:21 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Just another reason people shouldn't have a pet if you're going to just leave it in the yard. The lady probably feels bad for your dog, and wants to give him/her a proper home. Sorry, maybe you should consider the offer since the Summer heat is just around the corner.
    Anonymous

• Ten years ago I would have laughed at a statement like that, but not any more. Today I would tell a person ~ with a frown ~ that they need to tell their friend to buy their own dog ... and to stop messing with mine, feeding mine, or bothering me with their boundary issues. I'm not fan of microchips, but if you don't have yours chipped, you may want to consider it (or make it a point to tell your neighbor that your dog is chipped and that if it ends up missing you'll be looking for it).

Today, people seem to have the rather insane idea that if they see something they like, they can just take it. It doesn't matter to them if it belongs to someone else. It doesn't matter to them that they are stealing. You can bet that it wouldn't matter to them that your children would cry.

I would make it a point to watch when your dog is out, lock the gate, and tell them if they toss any more food over that you'll consider it littering.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I have my yard like fort knox for my dogs!! Nobody is going to get into it!!! I will press charges!!! I would have pressed charges because they killed your dog!!! They need to back the hell off!! Don't trust them.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:36 PM on May. 16, 2011

• They probably assumed that as it was kept in the garden it was perhaps an unwanted pet. I know I would (and do) feel the same. Dogs don't belong cooped up in a garden like that. They're pack animals, social animals...they need to be part of a FAMILY not stuck outside isolated. Maybe they offered to take it as they felt sorry for it?

That being said, I would be worried someone would take it. If you really HAVE to keep your dog outside....make sure your gates are locked and secure, and keep an eye on it.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 5:55 AM on May. 17, 2011