So About My Boyfriend's Daughter...

So I met a man a few weeks ago and we are pre-dating because his daughter is one of my students (I'm a kindergarten teacher) and we wanted to wait until she was no longer my student to date. We got together a few times and let his five year old and my almost three year old play but little girls are very observant. In class today, Anna asked me if we were going to get married. I explained to her that it was too soon to tell, that we were barely dating and if we did get married we would wait a long time and get to know each other first. She sighed and I asked her what was the matter. "I want Alice to be my sister but you two won't get the hint!"

What should I do? I don't know how to handle this. I've never dated someone with a kid, especially one that wants us to get married so badly.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:14 PM on May. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• How cute and innocent. I don't have any ideas or suggestions but it could be worse his daughter could hate you both.
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 8:19 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Follow your heart Do what is best for you, your family and his. You're the only one who knows that answer. I love Anna's age yes it's cute but the road that you will be leading down is a lifetime that is if you want to., Good Luck
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 8:21 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think that is really cute! Just have him have a talk with her and let her know that these things take time and for now they can be really good friends!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 8:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Just tell her you can all be friends for now.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:34 PM on May. 16, 2011

• When you get married, what an awesome story to tell, unless your dating my husband,, LOL! I have a kindergartener!! I think school is almost out, and you can just say to her , your daddy and I are friends, and you and Alice are friends, so can that be all right for now?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:35 PM on May. 16, 2011

• She just likes you! That's all. Just smile and laugh it off as sweet and innocent. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:43 PM on May. 16, 2011

• She's a sweetheart. She's one of my favorite students. And to kimigogo, do you live in Conyers GA? He's divorced. I've met his wife too. I don't think she knows we're dating. School is almost out so we're going to start dating over the summer. We've even talked about taking the girls to the beach, his daughter, my daughter, and my seven year old sister. We thought the girls would enjoy playing together.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 8:47 PM on May. 16, 2011

• That is very cute. but for school reasons stick to ur guns, the school year is almost over.
    Also im sure you know kids live in a very small world & dont see what may be ahead of them.
    My nephew (has single mom) & his best friend (has single dad) wanted their parents to get together so bad.. They thought it would be AWESOME & Cool. (12yo at the time)...
    Well it happened. they dated. moved in together. the boys now dont get along as well as they use to & about 1yr later they split up. My nephew & his mom had to move back into their old house, but they have now started dating again & all are happy in a different house..
    Anonymous

• I feel that everyone need to get together and all adults need to know whats going on and be happy with everything. Everyone sit down with the oldest child and let her know that ya'll not rushing into anything. Its always good not to let kids meet until you know for sure you both are going to be more then friends
    FayMeek

Answer by FayMeek at 9:08 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Well good news,, lol,, I live in KC!!! I think you just need to go with the flow,,, I think that you will be asking us for advice on where to get married pretty soon!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:42 PM on May. 16, 2011