Babies first birthday

So my DD will be a year old on September 23rd (how did the time fly by) So of course i want to make it special.....only to find out MIL has planned to have it at her home because she has more money and we can't do the party justice (her words) and my family isn't to be invited WTH. After looking at her like she was crazy i told her no and that my daughters birthday would be planned by DH and I and we would be hosting it and everyone would be invited don't like it don't come now she is sulking and telling us we have ruined her life (yes this is her normal response to anything we disagree on)

was i to harsh would you let someone else take over your childs birthdays or would you do it yourself and invite all the family

PS. before anyone asks we did suggest having a separate party at her home a week after DD's birthday but were told it wouldn't be worth her time if she couldn't have the day of then she wants nothing to do with it.

krissii

Asked by krissii at 8:39 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she is being childish. If *you want* to try and make her happy DH could attempt to compromise and allow her to help with the food and decorations (of yours and DH choice) and she can have partial credit if that is all she 'needs'. Some people just always have to be the center of attention even if it means being able to play up the tole of 'hostess'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:43 PM on May. 16, 2011

• That's not harsh at all. I'd tell her to go take a hike. It's you child, you have every right to host the party and to decide who should be invited.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:43 PM on May. 16, 2011

• forgot to mention all our friends and my family live in our town so to have it at her home we would have to drive 2 hours
    krissii

Comment by krissii (original poster) at 8:46 PM on May. 16, 2011

• She is melodramatic. You didn't do anything wrong.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 8:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• LOL ARE YOU FRICKEN KIDDDING ME. I probably would have laughed in her face because thats so absolutly absurd. you dont need a ton of money to throw a great birthday. I'm a full time college student, single mom of twins, and i still threw a great first birthday for them and I stayed under a couple hundred bucks. your MIL was seriously out of line and you were NOT too harsh.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:49 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Okay. I'M actually seething. Just reading this. UGH! How can she possibly have the gall to say YOU can't invite YOUR family to YOUR child's birthday! I would uninvite her right then and there. Tell her she will not be taking over the birthdays EVER and that for her to exclude my family was a very disgusting thing to do and that my child behaves more maturely than her. You were totally right. I would've been much more harsh. Talking about money for a good party? First of all, money does not make a good party, company makes a good party and second, your kid's turning one! They won't remember, and it's whether THEY had a good time or not that counts.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:48 AM on May. 17, 2011