Pregnant while breastfeeding and on Paragard?

I have been breastfeeding my 11 MO DD since birth, and have no had a period since I conceived. I also had the Paragard inserted 8 weeks after she was born. I have been having some slight pregnancy symptoms lately. Nothing intense enough to drive me to buy a test, but enough to make me worry. Has anyone ever heard of this? Become pregnant while actively breastfeeding and with IUD? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have heard of becoming pregnant with and IUD...I have been reading up on it because I have a 7 month old and had and IUD put in when he was 8 weeks old. I hate my April period 3 weeks late...I thought it was just because of stress because my oldest son was really sick and the dr's didn't know what was wrong with him....I have taken two pregnancy test that came out negative but sometimes seem to have some symptoms of pregnancy...I have been working out trying to loose weight and I don't seem to be losing but gaining weight....I'm not really ready for another one because we said we were done having kids....if I don't have my period this month I'm defenitly going to the doctors....I thought the IUD was the best choice.
    A_VASSAR

Answer by A_VASSAR at 9:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I got pregnant while having an IUD. They told me if it comes out of place it loses the effectiveness, thats what happened with me.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 9:42 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I am going through this right now. I just had a little girl in June. At 8 weeks I had Paraguard IUD inserted & I have been strictly breastfeeding. It is now Oct & I have been experiencing symptoms of pregnancy. I have heartburn, I'm lightheaded, dizzy, nauseous, tired & have been getting headaches. I think I even feel movement. My period has not returned but I spotted for a few hours last month & this month. I took a pregnancy test about 3 weeks ago but it was neg. I called the doctor tonight & explained the situation. He said that it is highly unlikely that I am pregnant. Breastfeeding alone provides better contraception than condoms & an IUD if working properly is equivalent to if not better than sterilization. He told me to take another pregnancy test & schedule an apt to get evaluated. He explained that I could be having blood pressure issues or any activity w/ the cervix could cause pregnancy type symptoms.
    Gweedette

Answer by Gweedette at 2:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2013