How to handle eccentric religious doctrine (of a family member)?

I respect other religious preferences, as long they are conducive to human existence. But here's one I am struggling with, beliefs that lose the concept of humanity. On respect of religion, why does many religions forbid contemplation if God has given us a mind to do so? Heaven was won by warriors, not just by sheep herders and carpenters.

By the way, my mother ripped off some very intricate hand needle work from a coat in the name of religion. The coat is now ugly with fuzzy patches were the work was applied.

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 3:05 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with you. God gave us a mind and the ability to think for ourselves. To not use these is to reject His gifts. But some people are so threathened by people who are willing to look beyond the pastor's "Because I said so" and are so afraid of doing it themselves that they go overboard.
    What can you do with loved ones like this?
    Accept them but keep an eye on them since this sort of behavior can quickly become anti-social and even harmful. If she only wants to dress in plain, simple clothes, fine. Don't give her anything fancy. But if she starts wanting to dress in old burlap sacks, try to get her to a doctor. If she attacks you for dressing nicely, tell her that you respect her beliefs and feelings and expect her to do the same. Keep your tone light and calm and change the subject. Don't rise to her bait or discuss the issue since she is not rational about this subject.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I guess I don't understand your question.
    Anonymous

• I'm not too sure what you are talking about. Just a little confused. Sorry. What "beliefs" are you talking about...to be exact?
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• yeah i didn't understand what you were trying to say either
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I THINK she is trying to understand how some religious zealots can find the most innocuous things like removing embroidery from a jacket as necessary because through 6-degrees of separation there is some blasphemous reason it should not exist.

People like that...it's best to steer clear of--even if it's a family member. They are eccentric, and are probably already suffering from dementia. There is no talkign to someone who is that far gone. I would also be concerned because dementia is hereditary.
    Anonymous