Is anyone in the Accounting or Finance department?

I am in school for Accounting and so far I really enjoy it. But I was wondering what are things I should be doing or be aware of before I actually graduate. I still have a couple of years.

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 8:56 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• I am in Finance. Get into a big 4 accounting firm as the first job after graduation. i am not saying they are better than the mid-size/local public accounting firms, but the name opens door. MOst large companies still prefer big 4 candidates + industry experience. Do a search on monster.com of the fortune 500 companies and look at the qualifications, you'll get an idea. Get the basic down (i.e. foundation of accounting, i.e. debit = credit...you'll be surprise how many people don't get that), then make sure you interview well. It's all about perception. There'll be plenty of incompetent idiots or bull-shter to encounter in your career, if you've got the goods and can talk smack, you'll go far. If you are not a talker, I would recommend tax (not preparing tax returns, planning, research). It still requires politicking, but it seems to be more technical, thsu requires less talking smack.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:22 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I am currently wrapping up my MBA in finance, and this required several semesters of accounting. I never got to take a computerized accounting course until last...so it was crazy to see how much different and easier it was once you learned how to use the software. I would try to get familiar with some of the most common softwares, if you haven't done so already, and make the most of any internship you can land. Get as much practical experience as you can while you are there.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:32 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Real world accounting is nothing like book accounting (I actually had the managing partner tell me "Gaap scmaap")

I strongly recommend getting a part time bookkeeping job or internship before you start looking for a job; in many ways, experience is at least as important as knowledge.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I'm with Olivia above ... tax planning and research (not tax prep) is my area of preference as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Thank you ladies!
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 5:13 PM on May. 17, 2011