Do you think Christianity would be what it is today if it hadn't been for forced conversions and religiously motivated murder, war and persecution?

And do you believe those parts of history were simply part of God's plan to spread his word? (Obviously part II is for those who are primarily Christian)

**Lets play nice people!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:57 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No I believe that was man forcing it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• No, religion was forced. That's why Christianity is on a steady decline. Nowadays the choice of religion is more open than it ever has been. In the 90's Protestant Christians was 86%, now it's down 76%.

Ninety percent of the decline comes from the non-Catholic segment of the Christian population, largely from the mainline denominations, including Methodists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Episcopalians/Anglicans, and the United Church of Christ.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 9:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Christianity would be just another local religion like all the other Pagan denoms, except that it was adopted by a murderous army bent on world domination.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• In the first few centuries it was a death sentence to be a christian, yet it flourished at an astounding rate. Who knows what the world would have looked like if any one thing would have been different in history.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:02 PM on May. 16, 2011

• No.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 9:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I can't say. I do believe it would still exist in some form. But can we claim it would be the same form we see today? I really don't know. I doubt it, given the effect being tied to the empire had, the transformation we see in the religion in the time it was "dominant" or "in power" during the times that church and state acted together and were not separate... Perhaps we would have something more similar to the original way of faith, or perhaps we would have seen amazing progress and growth without the political push to have a unified faith and the hunts for heretics and the punishment of difference of opinion - since it started as such a diverse movement in the first place.... It is something to wonder about, for sure... But I do believe that the experience found in the person of Jesus, the message he gave, is something that would have lasted in some shape or form....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think it would have been even MORE influential if those cruelties had not occurred.

That was not part of God's plan to spread His Word. Look at what Jesus said to Simon Peter when Simon cut off Malchus'' ear!!!!

God will judge evil, even when it is falsely done in His Name.
    beelive

Answer by beelive at 9:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• That was human error, not God's error. A lot of Christians I know don't condone everything that was done all in the name of religion. Back in the day Christians were also persecuted and fed to lions for amusement. So It goes both ways. It's all human error and greed.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:08 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Of course it wouldn't be the same if history was different. Our country (with the puritan pilgrims seeking religious refuge as such a huge role in the beginning) wouldn't even be the same.

I think the history of the world is a combo of God's plans and people's choices...as I'm not omnipotent, I really don't know where exactly the line is between the two.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 9:09 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It's possible it would still be around, but I doubt if it would have spread so far if it hadn't been forced or coerced.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:18 PM on May. 16, 2011