A fever from a fall?

So my son was at home with his grandma and they were outside on the pavement, well the dog came up and knocked my 18 month old straight back onto his head (on the pavement) he had his hood on but must have hit a rock because he did get a cut that bled a little. Well, this fall happened on Thursday and then on Friday he got a fever of about 101.5 and today it's 102.5... other than the fever he had no other symptoms, he was fine after the fall, cried for a couple minutes but was totally fine otherwise, would the fever be from head trauma?

AverysMommy5

Asked by AverysMommy5 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes i think it could be!! i'd call your ped.. and ask!! or just take hiim to the ER.. better safe then sorry
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• They Hypothalamus in the brain is the "thermometer" for the body. If there is damage to the brain and they hypothalamusis affected then it will affect your body temperature. It could be high or it could be low. Damage meaning....swelling of the brain particularly. Or it could just be a coincidence.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Head trauma patients can have major issues with their temperatures.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• take him to the ER
    Anonymous

• Yeah definitely take him to the ER right away. He could have a concussion
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 4:20 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• any head wound like that should be brought to a doctors attention. .3
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• DD hit her head...and she didnt get a fever and i asked when i took her to the ER...if her temp was normal and it was they said it was a gooooood sign ....
    if they didnt have a fever...and now i know why its such a good sign
    im sure your little one is fine,
    but i would rush to the er...to make sure!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 7:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• This EXACT same thing happened to my son, he was also with his gramma and the dog jumped on him knocking him over, he too, had his hood up but still bled a little. My son was totally finally, aside from crying awhile after. I still took him into the ER just to be safe. They told me as long as he didn't pass out or throw up soon after, they are usually fine. The fever could just be coincidence however if it is making you worry I would take him in just to put your mind at ease, can't hurt to have him checked out!!!
    AverysMommy5

Comment by AverysMommy5 (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2010