Why do you believe people cling to religious misconseptions and so readily believe them even after being introduced to the truth?

My mother and I were talking about how many misconceptions we both face about our faiths (she's JW, I'm a Pagan Witch). And she was telling me that some of the JWs she goes door to door with said they were uncomfortable talking to Pagan. She said she's more uncomfortable talking to other Christians because Christians tend to "write her off" faster than Pagans do...

I said I believe that's because many Christians hear the myths about JWs and believe them. And Pagans understand that, we they tend to be a little more open minded - even if they have even less of a chance of converting...

But the entire conversation got me to wonder why so many people prefer to believe misconceptions rather than simply looking in to things themselves. Now, I won't say I've never done this, but I sure try not to, which is why I study all types of religion and not just my own.

But why do YOU think people believe this stuff? Is it simply easier to believe they are right if they have a list of reasons as to why others are wrong - even if that list isn't true? Or do you think it's something else?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:35 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• – collapse
    U are sadly mistaken and a hypocrite.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on May. 16, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I think people just tend to cling to the familiar regardless if they are right or wrong. To them, it may be right even though the 'truth' that you see may not ring true to them or that would just be too far from their comfort zone to think about it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:41 PM on May. 16, 2011

• WOw anon....that was totally uncalled for.

sabrina...I think sometimes it's easier to cling to the misconceptions b/c it justifies whatever it is we believe in and what we've always heard.
    sometimes it's hard to let go of what we are so familiear with.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:43 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think it's because people who live happily following other beliefs shakes their own faith.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:44 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think sometimes it is out of fear. I mean, it would be simple to just find out for yourself but many don't want to put forth the effort.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:47 PM on May. 16, 2011

• WOW!!! anon... aren't "we" just full of piss and vinegar tonight....

As for the OP... for many it's easier to believe in the evil/bad/myths of an a belief that is outside the
    norm than and off shoot of theirs...
    It saves them from opening up their own minds to actually see that ppl are ppl, just some believe
    differently than others or not at all...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:50 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Sometimes I think it is because of what pp have listed. I also think that you can not be well educated on everything. There is to much information in the world so we all tend to look more into things that interest us more. I look into religion and civil rights because that is of intrest to me, but I am ignorant as hell about cars and electronic repairs (among other things). So I take what my friends and family tell me about those things at face value so I can spend my time learning other things or do other things.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:57 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think that so much of someone's belief system is intertwined in the way they were raised, that the thought of being wrong or having their beliefs questioned feels like a personal attack. It is, after all, a very personal deeply rooted part of who someone is.

I'm an atheist though, so I might not be the best "go to" person for this sort of question. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Oh Anon stalker, how I missed thee!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:10 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Mom-2-3-Girlz - Being Atheist doesn't mean you're not the person for this question. There are just as many misconceptions about Atheist as there are about anyone else. And Atheists can believe misconceptions as well... In fact I find that because Atheists do not have their own "religion" they tend to ignore religion - which makes sense. However, it also leaves them open to hear the rumors rather than the facts, and of course open to believing them over the facts. Which again, makes sense... So on both sides of the coin, you are very much the right person, as is anyone and everyone else, for this question. You find me a religion which has NO misconceptions attached to it and you've found a religion that doesn't exist...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:15 PM on May. 16, 2011