What do I do when my 2 year old stands at her door and cries for me at bedtime?

This is becoming a nightly ritual and I don't want it to be habit, but I feel bad at the same time, because a lot of changes are going on around my kids and myself. My 2 year old has started standing at her bedroom door knocking and crying "mama" and it goes on and on, until I answer. I'm not sure if this is just a phase, or if she's feeling unsure because of all the changes of people and situations happening all the sudden. What do I do to comfort her fears but not turn this into a habit to stay up at night?

kicknscreamn222

Asked by kicknscreamn222 at 9:37 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• go open the door and put her back to bed. Tell her good night and leave the room and shut the door back.

Answer by louise2 at 9:43 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Stand at your door and cry with her. Sometimes she just needs to let it out. Then, put her back in bed, say goodnight etc. It is going to take some time, but being consistent is KEY!!! Good luck!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:46 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Don't close the door. That might be why she's upset. If she wanders out once, tell her "It's bed time honey," and put her back. The second time you say "It's bed time" and put her back. From the third time on, you say nothing and just take her back to bed. It may mean a few late nights but eventually she will give up and stay in her bed. Make sure she knows that she is expected to stay in her bed and go to sleep like a big girl when you tuck her in. Sometimes that's all it takes. If you keep giving in she will use it as a method of putting off sleep and getting attention which is not a good habit to let her get into.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:09 PM on May. 16, 2011

• She's always slept with the door closed...so that's not new to her.
    kicknscreamn222

Comment by kicknscreamn222 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I am having an issue with it too... naptime, bedtime... Its worse when she gets back from visiting my parents cuz they have her sleep in the bed with them. Here, she has her own toddler bed that she is to sleep in every night, there she has her own bed that seems to be there for decor... I have no idea what to do anymore! She wanders out n I will tell her to go back to bed n she screams like someone is beating her n runs back to her bed. This goes on for 3-5 hours! Her bedtime is 8pm, we get up at 6am and she is always cranky from the lack of sleep. I'm at the end of my rope!
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 3:44 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My daughter finds her way in my bed constantly. I just get up, put her back in her bed and say I love you big girl, good night! She's gotten so much better.
    SMITxsM2

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 2:14 PM on May. 18, 2011