Ughhh... I need some advice....

I'll try to keep this short- I just found out my ex bro inlaw left my son (9) home for a few min (5-15) with his 8 and 4 year old cousins while he was at their house this weekend and I'm furious. Here's the problem- 1)my ex will not speak to me regarding our son, he thinks anything that happens on "his days" is none of my business and 2) there's no law in my state that regulates at what age an child can stay home alone. My ex won't reason with me, going to court is not an option-I tried to get full custody in the past but he still has visitation. I just feel so helpless- what would you do??? I'd also like to mention my son is way to immature to be staying home alone. What can you do when you've already tried everything???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• There is a law in every state as to how old they have to be. If they didn't it would be just fine to leave a toddler home alone to fall down the stairs. Which would be considered child endangerment. I would look again. What state are you in? I'm good at finding that stuff. :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:58 PM on May. 16, 2011

• EVERY state has an age. I would look into it more AND teach my kid how to dial 911 for the next time it happens.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:59 PM on May. 16, 2011

• bump
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:00 PM on May. 16, 2011

• You may not like this option, but I would contact CPS anon. Ask about the situation and you don't have to give any info about yourself or your ex. There are some laws that even though there's no age limit, there should be one that specifies at what age a child can be responsible for another child. Also, you can contact your local Legal Aid and see if there's a lawyer or law group that does Probono work in family cases. Good luck. Also, since it's illegal to leave an infant alone there is an age, it just may be buried in other laws but I'm almost sure there is one in place for every state, it just may take a lawyer to find it. You may want to Google your specific question like, "In "X" state, what is the law about latch key kids" Again, good luck.
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 10:01 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'm in WI, if anyone can find me an actual age I'd really appreciate it. I'm not above calling CPS if I have to I just don't want to waste their time if it's not something they can help with.

Here's what I've been finding so far

http://answers.hhs.gov/questions/3066

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:05 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Nothing you can do, he is right, when he has your son you cannot tell him what to do.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:08 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree with you OP...9 is too young to be alone with two other kids. You have a right to bring the authorities involved when your children could be in harms way.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 10:14 PM on May. 16, 2011

• To tell you the truth. 9 year olds are at home by themselves ALOT..and its not like he was gone for 3 hours. it was 5-15 minutes. Now I understand a bunch of shit could of happened in that time frame. But teach your son some things like dont play with the oven, microwave, dont answer the door or phone for ANYONE, dont go anywhere unless its in the backyard.. Their are laws depending on age and time ur gone but their are called lock key kids..who go home to an empty house by themselves till their parents get home.

Now if he was like 8 or younger I might be more mad.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 10:30 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I stand corrected OP! I looked at all reputable links and they all say there are no laws. However, if CPS thinks that it endangered the child there could still be a problem. But I do remember being home alone for an hour a day until my parents got home from school at that age.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:55 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree that u should call CPS!
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:17 PM on May. 16, 2011