Questions for MILs...or how you think you will be as a MIL when your kids marry.

I think it is really common to hear complaints about the "crazy MIL", but I am interested to know how it looks from the MIL's perspective.

Is there anything that your DIL or SIL does that makes you crazy? Do you say something or bite your tongue? How much do you think is your business versus their business since your child/grandchild is involved? and finally...does how your MIL treated you play into what kind of MIL you are?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:56 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• When I am a MIL if the SIL or DIL doesn't treat my baby right, the way I will be is like a NIGHTMARE!!!!
    That being said I have no issues with my MIL and love her dearly and respect her. As far as how women on here treat their MILS I am scared to have a DIL.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 10:07 PM on May. 16, 2011

• :) I am a DIL, and would like to ask YOU a few questions! My MIL IS crazy (and for more than 1 reason.. she'll call just to yell at DH and her moods change instantly and she's hated me since day 1 n' didn't know me). What makes a MIL like that exactly? Sure, I "took" her only son, only after she kicked him out and I took him in as a friend, they NEVER had a good relationship, she was an alcoholic for years and treated her son poorly and still does. SO! I can't get along with her in situations like that, i'm wondering if you think that will EVER change? Even on her part.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 10:17 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'm not a MIL, but my bio mom is kind of what you're describing...after not being there my entire life, she somehow thinks she has a say in my family...and hearing parenting advice from someone who was a shitty parent, or relationship advice from someone who has been divorced multiple times is a hard pill to take. I know for a fact my mother will never change. She thinks she is right. She believes she has done nothing wrong. There will never be an apology. We try to be polite and civil and deal with her on the occasions it is appropriate (i.e. weddings, funerals, graduations, reunions, etc), but don't do much with her other than that.

I am actually definitely closer to my MIL than my mother, even though she irritated the bejesus out of me earlier today for the first time in a LONG time LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 10:39 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My MIL has passed, we got along well though. I'm hoping my case will be the same.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 10:41 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I am a MIL and actually I just mind my own, love my SIL's - however, blood is thicker than water and if I see them mistreat my daughters or grandkids in anyway I will say something!! And my kids know I can't keep my mouth shout when it comes to them :)
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 10:48 PM on May. 16, 2011

• this is a good question... I hope u get more responses from those who are actually mil's.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:12 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I will do everything possible to be a loving mother-in-law, because I have learned exactly how NOT to treat my future daughters-in-law.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 2:21 AM on May. 17, 2011

• i will be protective if she doesnt treat my son right
    but go the extra mile if shes at least decent
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 3:02 AM on May. 17, 2011

• My DIL hurt my feelings once. I flew from Texas to Florida to see her perform the lead role in a ballet. She was a professional dancer at that time. It was an expensive trip but I wanted to support her. She never hugged me hello or showed any happiness or warmth at all at me being there. However, when a person showed up who was a work connection, my DIL couldn't hug her enough or be bubbly and warm enough. It was very shaming to me and I have never forgotten it. That work connection person had driven 45 minutes to see DIL, I had driven an hour and half just to get to the airport, paid for my plane ticket, plus all the expenses with a hotel room, rental car, meals etc. Since then I have held my DIL a little apart. I am not mean or intrusive, but I keep my distance. She is a good mom to my grandkids and that is a good thing. We have a very hands off relationship.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 9:05 AM on May. 17, 2011