For married/committed moms who work...

Who makes more, you or your spouse/partner? Is everyone okay with that?

I was a sahm for 6+ years, and started working in January. I was making exactly the same as DH for a few weeks, then his pay got cut in half. He was fine with it, and joked with people that I was now his sugar mama. He actually helps me with my job now, the paycheck is just still in my name, lol. Neither of us has a problem with the fact that my paycheck is twice was his is now.

Just kind of curious how it was in other relationships.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• Last year, I made more, this year my Dh will because I'm home full time w/my baby - although working from home still...

And neither of us really care or even notice who makes more. It all goes in to the same account, we share everything equally.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:26 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I do now. But it doesnt matter this is a partnership
    remark

Answer by remark at 10:30 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Hourly, I make more - but he works more hours than I do, so his check is more than mine... but only by a few dollars.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 10:36 PM on May. 16, 2011

• He doesn't care. And we don't share everything. his goes for the bills mine is all saved up for major projects like the house, a new car and stuff like that. Either way it is our and if there is something we want to do, we just do it!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 10:38 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I was a WAHM until my son was 18 months old and my DH quit his job to focus on building our business (that he had done on the side until then). Everything hit at once. The company I worked for went bankrupt 2 weeks later and we immediately started preventing pregnancy, but too late as I was already pregnant. At that point we made the decision that in the long run it would be better if I returned to work and he stay home. During that time I made more money than him, but the goal was to have the business be enough that we could both quit. The kids are 6 and 4 years old now and we are almost there. I am currenlty going to school full time for my second degree to us in the business and still make more money with my unemployment then he does. It doesn't matter though because this is a partnership.
    Anonymous

• my Husband is actually a stay at home dad. He gets disability and I work and make all the money, it doesnt bother him.
    angelrach86

Answer by angelrach86 at 10:45 PM on May. 16, 2011

• As a medical professional I make more per hour then my DH, but I work approx 2/3rds less. (he works the typical 2080 hours/year, where I only work 635 hours/year). We joke that if I worked FT I'd be making more then him. LOL

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:50 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I've been married almost 12 years and i've made more than my husband for about 10 years. Right now, I make more than double:) We are both educated for a State University. We both have no issues with the fact that I make more.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 10:56 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think it's fine in healthy marriages. In the dating world, it may be a little different.
    SwePea

Answer by SwePea at 10:58 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It's gone back and forth since we've been married. Right now, and for the foreseeable future because of our jobs being what they are, he makes more. We bring home about the same, though, after deductions.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:01 PM on May. 16, 2011