My neighbor's 17 year old is being bullied at school. He is so stressed and depressed he takes Prozac. Would you give your child Prozac

He has some language challenges and has taken speech since kindergarten. He is a smart, talented, kind and handsome young man. There is a small group of mean boys and the school tells him to learn to ignore people.The school spoke to two of the boys, they stopped but now two of their friends have started

remark

Asked by remark at 10:37 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• If my child went to a therapist or something and was told Prozac would help, yes I would give my child Prozac.
    Acook331

Answer by Acook331 at 10:40 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Unfortunately we have learned from the violent acts from some youth in our society that ignoring it doesn't always go away. Shame on that school for not helping! To answer your question~ YES i would give my child prozac! @ of my 3 are on meds for different disorders. Depression and anxiety in teens is just as serious as in adults. Poor child i hope this gets better for him!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:40 PM on May. 16, 2011

• *2 of my 3 are on meds
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:41 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'd certainly be in the principals & the super's office EVERYDAY until it stopped. It's their job to maintain an environment that is conducive to learning... and if even one kid is being bullied they are NOT doing their job. And since my taxes pay for their job I WILL hold them accountable!!

As for the meds... I'd have to talk to the doc and look at the whole picture... but if it is medically necessary... yes.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:43 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My 9 year old had to be put on prozac after a year of therapy & still anxious about EVERYTHING!! He would actually make himself physically sick over worrying about silly little things. If the medication will help your child have a better life with no side effects then definately.
    d0ubletr0uble

Answer by d0ubletr0uble at 10:44 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Traumatic events and severe stress can indeed cause depression bad enough to need medication to pull out of it. I remember needing to get on prozac after I experienced a huge loss. I just wasn't getting better.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:44 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Sometimes kids are the cruelest people especially to there peers. If I needed to take my child to a therapist and they said that Prozac would help I would probably do some research first but ultimately if will help him then yes I would give it to him. The most important thing is the welfare of your child.

lmv1970

Answer by lmv1970 at 10:46 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I would be very hesitant to give Prozac to a teenager due to the increased risk of suicide among that age group who take it. I don't know if you can tactfully mention that to your friend or not, but she should know that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:51 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Maybe they are telling the boy to ignore it, then going to the bullies and telling them to stop. That's what i would hope. And yes, at age 17 if the doctor and my son agreed the meds were the best bet, I would also agree.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:01 PM on May. 16, 2011

• NO, these drugs have been "black labeled" for a reason. Any medicine which has suicidal warnings isn't the best thing for anyone struggling with depression. I have lost 2 daycare children ( when in their teens) to suicide and both were on anti-depressants. A good friends son attempted and failed. If the pharmaceutical companies were more concerned with our children then with the millions they make every year, these pills would not be on the market. Anti-anxiety drugs can help with similar results and far less side effects. Too many people use pills to mask the core of their problems. A pill won't make these kids change, but action will.......
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:10 PM on May. 16, 2011