Postpartum back pain

I am four days postpartum and starting about 3 hours ago started getting pretty intense dull back pain. This is my second birth and I never experienced any pain with the first. I have not been doing any heavy lifting or lifting wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had lower back pain after my first, and I thought it was from the spinal block, but then I figured out that it was from holding the baby--posture, arm position, things like that.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:04 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Did you get an epidural? I have heard of people having back pain from that. It could also just still be that your body is in a late stage of post-labor.... your uterus is still contracting down and you could be having a little bit of back labor from that.
    Acook331

Answer by Acook331 at 10:47 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I haven't had baby related "injuries" :) But I do have a horrible back and I've noticed working both sides of my body (hips/hip flexors, abs, chest, shoulders, back, lower back, butt) along with stretching whenever and where ever when it comes to mind... almost makes it non-existant!
    triciabc21

Answer by triciabc21 at 1:12 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I have scoliosis, and my back is in a better position while I am pregnant. After the baby is born, having it go back to the way it was is almost unbearable. It is really hard to deal with for many weeks. I don't think the pain is worse than before pregnancy; it's just more noticable because it is suddenly back in that position. Does it feel like bone or soft tissue that is in pain?
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 2:13 AM on May. 17, 2011

• i experienced that, too. mine felt (but didn't look) like a bruise where i got my epidural. and sleeping sitting up in the recliner with the baby probably didn't help much. i hope you feel better!
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 8:50 AM on May. 17, 2011