My baby girl is wanting to eat lot more

she is 6 weeks old today and is wanting about 5 ounces each feeding, i burp her in between and if i see she is spitting up etc i reduce it down. is 5 ounces normal for 6 weeks. her doctor said to let her eat what she wants to she was taking 2- 2 1/2 ounces in hospital after she was born. also i burp her in between but sometimes after her feeding not all but once in a while we notice she has trouble breathing and i have to turn her on her tummy or she will choke and have formula coming out her nose. but i also notice sometimes she gets snot and chokes from having trouble breathing(yes i clean it with the aspirator). she has been coughing since the day she was born they said she swallowed some fluid and it would eventually stop it has not. she does not have a cold. any ideas? I am freaking out my other girls never did this

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 10:50 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have twins that are 6 weeks and they too are taking 5 oz. they too are eating every 3 hrs and occasionally are flipping out at 2.5 hrs for food. they seem to have a fussy time each night and when we get through it, we put them down for bed. I stopped swaddling them bc they got too big. I am thinking of increasing them to 5.5 oz and seeing how they do. However, once in a blue moon they will spit up quite a bit of formula, over flow. As for the coughing... I am not sure about that. Def talk with your dr. Mine do the loud noise that sounds like they are gasping for air, they did it at the dr check up and he said it was a normal sound bc they breath through their nose. When they get air in their mouth, they sometimes respond like that. Not sure if this helps! good luck!!
    Mommytobe618

Answer by Mommytobe618 at 11:17 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It sounds odd, but the difficulty breathing and choking can possible be related to reflux. I would have that checked out. Otherwise feed your child what she needs to eat. BTW refluxing can also cause an increase in the amount of eating b/c it makes the tummy feel better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• that sounds kinda serious. I would bring it up with your doctor as soon as you can. But also babies have growth spurts and start to cluster feed which can last up to a week. My daughter has had at least 3 cluster feeeding periods and would eat sometimes every half hour to an hour! She would also be very fussy especially in the evenings before bed. Also, you might be making an overabundance of milk and she could be choking on that. I also suffered with that problem up until last month when my milk regulated itself. It was very frustrating but after about a week the feedings slowed down. Hope i helped!
    lovemylife88

Answer by lovemylife88 at 10:55 PM on May. 16, 2011

• The quantity does not seem as much the problem as the choking and coughing. This would concern me and definitely need attention and follow up.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:28 AM on May. 17, 2011