Just curious?

I know that for many of us (who are not Christian that is) that it is only a set of words, a phrase spoken either out of frustration or aggravation ...

Anyways with that said... my Dh is a non practicing Christian, he believes in God, Jesus and the Trinity... I am Pagan, an Electric Wiccan Witch and we are raising a grandson who is 10... Now my Dh tends to use thes phrases a lot
"Jesus Christ" or "Jesus F'n Christ" now my SIL is a devout Catholic and she too says the same things... now my MIL, if she hears this she scolds them big time and she seems to be very upset... Now honestly I don't blame her, as I have had to correct my 10 yr old bc he would get frustrated and say it...
I told him that it is NOT acceptable to say bc 1. It is bad mouthing someone of religious importance to some and 2. It offends ppl and that is impolite to do so. He says in return, "but grandpa says it" then here I go again explaining to him that grandpa shouldn't be saying it either, but he is an adult and will say things that even tho he shouldn't, he does.

Now I know that my family members are not the only ones of the Christian faith that says phrases like these...

Now my question(s) are ...

Does it bother you when someone says phrases like or similar to what I have written? Do you correct your children when they are heard saying things like this?
Or to you is it just another set of phrases/words that ppl tend to use and they are only words?
Does saying things like this make a person less a Christian, (if that is your belief) ? Also do you tend to judge a person quicker bc of the language used, no matter yours/their religious beliefs or lack of?

I personally feel extremely uncomfortable when ppl of any belief system or non at all says things like this and for the record, I have in the past said my fair share of G-Damnit and more, but I tend not to anymore.

I am just curious and maybe use some of the logic I am hoping to hear here on my Dh... LOL... :)

thank you ladies for your honest thoughts...

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 11:06 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i don't think so. i find myself saying the exact two things and i don't believe in god. ..or "worship" jesus. its just one of those catchy phrases. sometimes after i say it though..i'm like, wtf did i just say that??
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:12 PM on May. 16, 2011

• i never say it aloud in public or anything like that...usually its under my breath or something
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:13 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes it offends me, my daughter won't swear. I don't think it makes anyone less christian. Who am I to judge?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:13 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I get annoyed by it...just because its obvious lack of respect for someone so many people look to for more than help and prayer. I think at ten he is just trying to be cool and use a slang that has caught on. I never used the phrase "shit fire" until I moved back down south haha. You are being a great Granmom and you are telling him the right things. I am a Christian and cuss a ton...I dont think cussing in a non angry or threating manner is toobad. But I also have tattoos, so Im just livin my life the way I think is acceptable to God...not the church.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 11:14 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes, it bothers me a great deal. My son would say "Oh my God" all the time. When correcting him didn't work, I started deducting from his allowance every time he said it. He got the point then. As a Christian, I believe that's taking the Lord's name in vain...and that second one you quoted is down right blasphemous. I think you/we (especially Christians) have no business saying "Jesus" or "God" unless you are talking TO Him or ABOUT Him.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:19 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think it is a habit for people who are not Christian or non-practicing Christians. They may care somewhat and do it anyway, or they may not care at all. I don't hear it from the mouths of practicing Christians, as a general rule (i.e. the ones I know).

I do hear Geez and Darn all the time, though. My DH and I decided when we got married to not use substitutes. Actually, I had become Christian while we were dating and suggested to him that we stop using substitute phrases. He used to say "darn" a lot when we were dating/engaged. I think he stopped by the time we got married.

Generally speaking, yes it bothers me. I won't correct someone unless the Holy Spirit prompts me to. Our kids don't talk like that because we don't talk like that. I agree it is disrespectful whether you believe in the religion or not. I would be suspicious of a Christian who does it, but would reserve judgement until I got to know them.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:29 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I doesn't bother me, but I say those things too often (unfortunately). I do think we have to be careful of what we say because we don't know who is listening to us and if they will be offended. I think much of the time people say it out of habit, and don't even think about what it means, or whom they could be offending. Then again, if we worry too much about offending people, then we might end up not speaking at all! I think to teach kids not to say those things is a good idea, simply as a way to teach them respect, for other people's beliefs, if anything. Though for me, it seems to be more of a, "do as I say, not as I do" kind of thing. I really need to break some bad habits....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:30 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes it bothers me, not that I look down on people who say it, it just affects my heart like nails on a chalkboard. I don't think that Christians should say that. I know that when I became a Christian my mouth was still filthy and I had to pray and work on cleaning it up!

I have no problem with people sometimes slip even though they are trying to clean up their language, that is good!

But it does bother me when people say things like that without being sensitive to who they are offending (women and children). You know?
    beelive

Answer by beelive at 11:31 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Thank you Ladies,
    I know that with all of the different beliefs all around us it's hard NOT to offend someone about something, but
    to me there are just some things that should not be said...no matter your beliefs or the others it to me is called
    "Out of Respect"

gmasboy

Comment by gmasboy (original poster) at 11:34 PM on May. 16, 2011

• It was a big huge no-no in my home growing up. It was basically considered a sin to use Jesus' name or Gods as a swear word(aka in vain).

However over the last year Ive noticed I will say "God" in a frustrated tone on occasion and if I have heard my boys say it I remind them its an adult word and they need not say it(same thing I say for any swear words).

I think you should be careful to not say it when you know its gonna offend the person you are near. However, overall, they are words and if they are said...let it roll off your back. Consideration, sure if you are with someone you actually know will be offended but if you are just in a group and it slips you shouldnt feel horrid or anything.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:40 PM on May. 16, 2011