4 year old won't poop on potty adult content

So, my 4 year old is potty trained for pee but refuses to poop on the potty! We still have her in diapers because we tried the "no diaper" route and she started to try to poop in the middle of the living room!

Any ideas or tips on how to get her to go on the potty? Thanks!

Acook331

Asked by Acook331 at 11:11 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• wow..4 years old ? she's a big kid !!!! i don't know what to tell u. if it were my child i would be furious. there is no excuse for a 4 yr old to poop in the middle of the living room- the only excuses would be 1) they got very sick and couldn't make it to the b-room on time OR
    2) they are mentally challenged. now i am not saying your kid is mentally challenged but those are the only 2 acceptable excuses in my book.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:28 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I have a nephew who is 11 and he still poops his pants. I guess laziness just runs in the family. My sister has taken him to see a Urologist and they say there is nothing that they can do so now he goes to therapy.

I am furious that she still will not poop on the toilet. My husband doesn't seem to think it is a big deal but I do!
    Acook331

Comment by Acook331 (original poster) at 11:30 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Well I was going to tell you that she might have a problem ..........but after reading your response is she around this nephew alot. Kid tend to repeat others negative behavior .
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 11:33 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Wow. Time to take *everything* she owns away (and I mean *everything*- leave nothing but the bed and empty dresser) until she decides to go. I would be manic, I can't imagine my son still in diapers! I don't believe in negative reinforcement, but at that age, she deserves a paddling for intentionally soiling her pants.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:35 PM on May. 16, 2011

• My son was 4-4 1/2 when he was finally potty trained, a LOT like your daughter. He also had two major life changing events while we were trying to potty train.

What finally worked for us: One night at dinner I had a conversation with him about whether there was anything about going potty that scared him. After more questions I discovered we had monsters in out toilet trying to get him/his poop. We set up a step in the bathroom so he could climb up (safely) and squat on the toilet seat.

Hindsight says that it was the splashing of the poop hitting the water that was scaring him. After setting up that step he stopped pooping in his pants (nearly) instantly.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:43 PM on May. 16, 2011

• See now, I brought that up with my husband. About a year and a half ago when we started potty training, my daughter started to poop on the potty and FREAKED OUT when the poop started to just fall into the toilet. She stopped potty training up until last year after that. I think something about the feeling of the poop just falling and not being caught by her diaper scared her. We keep taking things away from her whenever she poops in her diaper so that she knows she will not be rewarded for not going on the potty.

Maybe we will try sitting down and seeing if she will tell us exactly why it is that she refuses to go on the potty.

Thanks everyone for the help.
    Acook331

Comment by Acook331 (original poster) at 12:13 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I know anger doesn't help so try to say emotionless but maybe reward good potty habit if she decides to poop in the potty and take something away when she doesn't. Go back to panties and if she mess them empty them and have her clean them with your supervision of course. Her seeing how simple just going in the potty as apposed to in her pants.
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 12:36 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I would get rid of the diapers period... if she chooses to poop in her panties then she takes responsibility for her mess... she rinses her undies out, cleans herself up, and gets re-dressed. it will likely be messy... let it be. Make sure she cleans up the entire mess that was made. I think she will learn quickly that going in her underpants is not acceptable and no fun to clean up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:47 PM on May. 17, 2011