Selling or Donating Breastmilk?

So I produce some extra breastmilk, but I don't like that you need to donate at least 100 ounces at a time to a Milk Bank. I have nothing against donating, other than it isn't a Milk Bank within 500 miles.

I realize that the sale of breast milk is illegal in New York and California, but has anyone ever sold their breast milk in other states rather than donating? (I've heard of prices around $2.00-$3.00 per ounce).

Or have you ever donated your breast milk directly to another mother and bypassed the Milk Bank entirely?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• Google eats on feets, it should give you an idea on where to start.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 5:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• You might try asking the hospital if they know something you can do. I looked into it before, and all I ended up finding was perverts on craigs list. I do know that some adults (not perverts) DO purchase it for themselves for medical reasons for immune boosting properties.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:47 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Yes locally ive heard of people doing it.
    Once when i had just weaned dd someone of CM needed milk for their baby -- she adopted & was still trying to get her own milk up.. I said i would donate but it never went anywhere..
    Personally i could never take milk from someone i didnt know.. but id be OK with giving it lol.

I wouldnt attempt to sell it though.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:26 AM on May. 17, 2011

• There is a milk sharing group here on CM. Maybe they could help you out.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:34 AM on May. 17, 2011

• tsk tsk that is just so disgusting

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:20 PM on May. 16, 2011