When is it a good age for my daughter to be wearing nail polish?

My daughter is now getting more interested in "girly" stuff, like having fingernails painted. I have painted her nails before, but I'm wondering if I should have waited a year or two. She askes me often to paint her nails. She's 6 years old. So is it o.k? What do you think?

Mari6443

Asked by Mari6443 at 11:20 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• My DD is 2 and I paint her toenails for her. I think as long as she will keep from chewing on her nails, you can paint her fingernails.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:22 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Sure it is okay, just use the one for kids.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:23 PM on May. 16, 2011

• o gosh, I will prob get ripped apart for my answer to this one. My dd is 22 mo and I paint her toes all the time. She saw me doing mine and wanted to be part of the process. I turned it into a color lesson and we paint them a certain color. I just painted hers red yesterday. She is too cute! she sits still and loves it. It is a nice way for us to bond. I don't do her fingers, I don't want her to eat the nail polish.

I would say that 6 is totally fine. I teach kindergarten and a lot of my students come in with nails painted. Just for fun though, don't expect her to keep them for long! lol :) Have fun!!! you can make it a lesson and do pattern colors ;)
    Mommytobe618

Answer by Mommytobe618 at 11:24 PM on May. 16, 2011

• my twin (boys hahaha) are 20 months and I paint their nails. They get really sad if im doing my own and i dont paint theirs :P
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:24 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I think it would be a good "reward" for a 6 year old...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:27 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I've been painting my DD's nails since she was about 3 years old. Had done it occasionally before that, but she was never really into it. Once I put a glittery polish on her, she was hooked. She's 5 now and we often do a different color a day.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:07 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Yup. I think it is fine. Just keep the colors girly (only no-no color IMO is stripper red lol)

If a child can keep their hands out of their mouth I dont see a big problem with it. But Im not crazy about kid going to the nail salon, but thats because i think of the $$ lol..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:22 AM on May. 17, 2011

• well my DD is gonna b 7 months and not gonna lie..i painted hers at 5 months to have her pics taking but i used a polish for kids i just think it was tooo CUTE...!
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 2:39 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Im no expert but i think its o.k. the thing i would be concerned about is the type of polish,no stong chemicals.Im on your side!
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 3:05 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I do my cousins nails, she's 7 but i've been doing it since she quit putting her fingers in her mouth. I'd say as long as she's not going to chew on her fingers she's fine. Have fun with it!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:07 AM on May. 17, 2011