I am very worried about my daughter's education

I am very concerned about my daughter's education. We found out when she was 3 years old that she had some developmental delays. We did get her evaluated. She was in Pre-K for over 2 years. And she has improved tremendously. She continues to improve in Kindergarten, but she still has a ways to go. And the school year is fast approaching. I'm afraid that she will be held back, and have to repeat Kindergarten. I really, really don't want her to repeat Kindergarten. But I heard that first-grade is more fast-paced than Kindergarten. And I don't want her to continue to struggle and be behind most of her classmates. Do I have a reason to worry? What should I do??

Mari6443

Asked by Mari6443 at 11:26 PM on May. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think it would be okay for her to repeat kindergarten .. if she were to move on than have to stay back later on it might be harder for her to handle.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:29 PM on May. 16, 2011

• If she has an IEP, which I assume she does...this stuff should all be discussed in your end of year meeting. If you do not have one at the end of the year. Call for one!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:29 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I would let them hold her back if they need. What is most important is her being able to keep up. If she isn't able to she will in turn feel bad about herself or possibly do more harm than good trying to keep up. !st grade is much more fast paced! It is important for her to get a good start! But you are momma , go with your gut! (from mom of special needs kids , held back and all!) lol GL
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 11:30 PM on May. 16, 2011

• At least you know what her issues might be research about the medical term the doctors gave you. Look for local group that have more knowledge on how to help her . Have patience and pray that you are able to work with her . I not trying to be funny but I have friends who kids do not have any issues and they are failing from pure laziness.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 11:30 PM on May. 16, 2011

• FYI: an IEP is an "Individualized Education Plan." Students with special needs of all sorts should contact the principal about setting one up.

My nephew has a slight tremor, making it difficult for him to write cursive. His IEP states that he will be given extra time to complete any in-class activity that is required to be turned in in cursive writing.

Your daughters specific needs will be addressed in an IEP, and all her teachers will conform to it.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:32 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Kindergarten is the best year to be held back if she needs it, but children with IEP's are often not retained. I would meet with the teacher ASAP!
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 11:39 PM on May. 16, 2011

• hold her back it wont hurt her, get iep
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 7:55 AM on May. 17, 2011

• hold her back if they let.. you I tried to hold my son back in kindergarten.. but they said they had too many new kids coming into the school that there wouldnt be enought room to hold him back... WTH i know!! but read my journal on No child left behind act??

meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 10:16 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Thank you all for your words of advice and encouragement! I really appreciate it! I do know what an IEP means. We've gotten a couple of them on my daughter before. So we're familiar with it. We are trying to meet with her teacher again before the school year ends. We've already had 3 parent/teacher conferences this school year. So we'll see how DD does the rest of the school year.
    Mari6443

Comment by Mari6443 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on May. 17, 2011