Is 40 too old to have a healthy baby? I've been trying for 3 years and just had a miscarriage 2 months ago.

40 years and older
Trying to conceive
Down's Syndrome fear

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• well obviously you know the risks... and as long as your willing to deal with it you were to have a DS baby... then go for it.. there is no reason you shouldn't be a momma even though your older =D have you thought about adoption also?? Good Luck to ya hon!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• btw i know someone who was like 45 andhad a healthy baby!!! and someone else who was around 40 so no its not "too old"
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• It is not too old at all! There are a ton of women who have children later in life.

I was lucky in having an OB who had 4 or her 5 children after the age of 35, so she was the greatest with my advanced maternal age concerns. Unhealthy babies are born to women of all ages, BTW.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 3:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• When a woman reaches age 35 and older she is in a high risk maternal and fetal category. Downs Syndrome is one of the biggest fears for "older" women. Just to let you know I am 37yrs old so I would be in that category if I was trying to have a baby. They will do blood test such as a BPP and other tests that are specifically for this defect. The "odds" are gathered with any family history of the defect, maternal health at the time of pregnancy and of course age or mom. There are many factors that will taken into consideration by your OB but just because you are over 35yrs old does not mean you will have a baby with problems. I have worked on a L&D floor and we are seeing a higher rate of older moms coming in to deliver and they have happy healthy babies.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 3:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I KNOW A LADY WHO HAD HER LAST CHILD AT THE AGE OF 50-ISH AND HER KIDS DON'T HAVE ANY TYPE OF DOWN SYNDROME... SO IT'S POSSIBLE, JUST HAVE FAITH
    LATINMOMMY2008

Answer by LATINMOMMY2008 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• my mom had me at 42 and I'm fine i don't have down syndrome or anything.
    my grandma had my uncle at 42 and hes fine. no down syndrome or anything.

so you can have healthy pregnancies
    Anonymous

• I will be 40 by the time this baby comes and no I am not scared of "what if" what matters to us is that we were chosen to have a baby and feel blesses. And yes the older you get the greater chance of having a child with problems BUT like my dr said now a days she is seeing normal 20 something having c hildren with problems too so my thiniking is if you were chosen then all you can do is do your part and love your baby. IT is a Gift from God no matter what it looks like or probems it may come with. Good luck
    Joey07

Answer by Joey07 at 6:38 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Didn't you know 40 is the new 30! Good luck and have FUN!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I would give your body a chance to "heal" after the miscarriage. Maybe another month and then try again. Ask your doctor for some help and maybe they can give you some ideas, maybe a shot of something to help your eggs?

The most important thing is to relax and enjoy. If it's meant to happen it will. I had my last baby at 41 and I am 42 and hoping to have more someday.

Pam
    pamkay414

Answer by pamkay414 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2009