Do you think people should be arrested for reading the Bible out loud in public?

A man was arrested for reading the book of Romans out loud in the parking lot of the DMV. He was asked to leave, and he didn't and then he was arrested.

On the one side, that parking lot is part of public government property.

On the other side, he is reading a book out loud.

On the one side, people were there having to listen to him as they waited in line.

On the other side, people have to listen to offensive language, or conversations they may find offensive sometimes when they wait in line too . . .

Should we be allowed to read the Bible out loud in public?

Was it a bad example to not listen to the security guard asking him to leave?

Should he move to the sidewalk? The grocery store?

Should the government arrest anyone who speaks words that could offend people on government property?

What do YOU think

beelive

Asked by beelive at 11:48 PM on May. 16, 2011 in Religious Debate

• He wasn't arrested for reading the bible. He was arrested for trespassing- he was told to leave, he didn't.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:50 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree with above, you said yourself, he was asked to leave, and didn't, so then he got arrested. I'm fairly confident it wasn't because of him reading the bible.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 11:53 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I agree with ObbyDobbie 100%
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:53 PM on May. 16, 2011

• I'm with Obbey, He wasn't arrested for reading, he was arrested for causing a public disturbance and trespassing after not leaving when he was asked to by the security guard at the DMV, who was likely responding to complaints of the people.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:54 PM on May. 16, 2011

• Mark 13:9,10 9 But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them. 10 And the gospel must first be published among all nations.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 12:03 AM on May. 17, 2011

• If he's creating a public disturbance, or trespassing, then I don't even care if he's reading "Hop on Pop", he needs to stop.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:10 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Yeah, that's annoying. Especially at the dmv, I mean who is ever in a good mood there? Kinda like those people who love to sing to themselves out loud, like nails on a chalk board to me.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:19 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I think the problem I have is that it was to a forced audience. People don't just decide they want to see what is going on at the DMV (am I right ladies LOL), they HAVE to go there for one reason or another, there aren't other options for places to get your license etc, and as a government agency, they have an obligation to accommodate a diverse population. I think that in this case, his right to freedom of speech and freedom of religion were infringing on the rights of others.

I am not religious, and I wouldn't have personally felt so offended that I would bitch that he needed to go, but I think they did what they felt forced to do.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:21 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I doubt that he was arrested because he was reading aloud from the Bible. There IS more to the story,isnt there. This is a pot-stirring question, designed to get people to argue. I won't.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:31 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Sounds like he was arrested for trespassing to me. A local store near my home a gentleman sits in his truck with loud speakers and quotes scriptures and sings. He does this a couple of times per week and he has quite a following.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:34 AM on May. 17, 2011