How bad does schools have to get until you remove your child?

Every year it seems the schools are getting more dangerous & at younger ages. Elementary kids are bringing guns to schools. Gangs and drugs are becoming a bigger problem. Sex in schools & teachers having sex with students are in the news more & more. On cafemom I often hear of their children getting bullied by not only other kids, but by teachers...

So my question is...
What is the limit?

Or as parents should we always adjust our kids & teach them to "protect themself" to keep the Public Schools alive and hope for the best since we shouldnt be over-protective.

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 12:18 AM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• When I became a teacher and saw first hand how low the standards for behavior and studies are...that was enough for me. Pretty sad when you invest years of your time into a career you believed in, and end up thinking it is so terrible that you won't subject your own children to that.

I never thought in a million years I would be going to work teaching, and then coming home and homeschooling my own children after hours. It is a lot of work, but it is worth it to our family.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:07 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Public Schools are already bad enough to not send my children. We decided to send them to catholic school long before they were born and chose our congregation based on their school. I work in a retail setting eith teenagers from area public and private high schools, and home schooled, and can observe their work ethics, intelligence, maturity, and how they relate to each other. I strongly feel Private school I'd the way for us to go. Properly home schooling children is difficult and I dont think that its for everyone, especially witnessing the results around me.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:40 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I wont put my children in public school in the first place.  There are just too many reasons why I wont and the schools here in California are terrible.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:55 AM on May. 17, 2011

• UGH. I find when I post these questions not many answer. Why is that?!
    Its kinda frustrating! This is a SERIOUS TOPIC! So why can it not be discussed!?
    MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 12:27 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I'm not sure where my limit is. I'm NOT a good candidate for homeschooling my child(ren), nor can we afford to send them to private school. I don't know if I've gotten lucky in my location or not, but I have had some very good luck with my child's educators. Granted he's only in 1st grade, and my "baby" won't start school for another 16 months.

Some of it we need to teach our kids to stand up for themselves, but also to stand up for others. That old line about sticks and stones is an utter farce and should be thrown out the window, with gusto.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:29 AM on May. 17, 2011

• When the student has suffered trauma as consequence of something inappropriate happening in school parents must demand for their dd/ds to be transferred to another. School. Students in America have the right of free an appropriate education. It's up to the guardian of the student to honor these rights. Parents need to remember that getting actively involved in their children's school is the best way to monitor their children progress.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Could this get a bump?
    As Ive already said. I hate that I can post sexual questions & get 101 comments. Or even pretty strong religious questions get alot of attention. But once I bring up a school about Public School --- Its not noticed.. Except by those that mostly are giving their child an alternative education (private/homeschool)..
    WHY!

This angers me! Homeschoolers get bashed & told they should put their kids in PS. I always hear in Homeschooling posts that PS are great & wonder & lovely. But if you question the greatness ----- *** Silence ***-----.

MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on May. 17, 2011