Damn kids at the park.. adult content

SERIOUSLY! I took my almost three year old to the park today and the older kids there were being little sh*ts. Climbing up the slides, knocking down the younger kids, jumping off the edge onto the slide, swinging around and kicking other kids while hanging, etc. The parents were NOWHERE to be found! My daughter went to go down the slide and three kids started climbing up it and I had to tell her to stop. She ran into two kids on the way down the slide and everyone tumbled until they were all in a pile in the dirt at the bottom. I was pissed. I yelled at the older kids and asked if they even knew how a slide worked, that there were younger kids there and they needed to be careful. DD went up the steps and got knocked over again. I immediately got her down and took her to the crappy park down the road. I was so freaking pissed, I could not believe there were not any parents there watching their kids. How the hell do you deal with a situation like that? Do you say something to the other peoples kids or just leave? I'm irritated because it is not fair to my kid that she is being good and we have to leave the nice toys and go to the crappy toys down the road because other parents aren't watching their kids!

Sorry for the rant, but good grief it makes me mad!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would have climbed on the equipment and played with her. I would have made sure to point out every time they were rude or crossed the line of safety. I would keep it up the entire time we were there, or until they got sick of it and left.

How old were these kids?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:34 AM on May. 17, 2011

• it happens. i just was at the park the other day and there were alot of older children there and i jus do not feel comfortable with my little one with the older one. so i took her to another park. i understand your frustration but we can't really dictate what others do with their children just what happens with our own. if you do see the parents next time i would make them aware of it because maybe they do not even know how they are behaving. or maybe ven a older sibling is suppose to be watching them. you never know.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:36 AM on May. 17, 2011

• The kids were around 8-10. I am pretty sure the parents were even at the park at all. The parents there were all with young kids (the ones being kicked and knocked over by the older ones!).

Playing with her on the toy is a really good idea, the kids definitely wouldn't be knocking my kid over if I'm standing right there.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I hate bad ass kids. When I see kids like that I want to find their parents, beat their asses, and then show them how to beat their children's asses.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:44 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I have done exactly what sleapingbeautee suggests. Ii got up there with him and played. What really drives me nuts is when the teens show up and make camp on the small slides landing, sitting in the slide where no children can even go up there. We never have parents around our park either, so if you don't want to show up with your kid and make sure they are being safe, I will tell them they need to be careful, if you or your kid don't like it then Please come to the park and watch your own child. It's not just the safety of my child I'm worried about, but what if one of those unsupervised kids jumps off the slide and breaks their leg? No one knows where this hysterically screaming kid lives to contact you. So when an ambulance shows up to take your unsupervised kid to the hospital where are you going to be? Watching Oprah's favorite things episode?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:46 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I have dealt with kids like that with they're parents there! They don't care at all if they're kids are snots because they are snotty themselves and think they are above everyone else! My husband or I usually stay close or play with him and say something to the child or the parent even if they act like they are angels.
    Never rude to them unless the adults get rude.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:47 AM on May. 17, 2011

• As the mother of an 8 yo boy, I want you to know that I would NEVER tolerate that behavior from my child! When there are little ones around, I always always always get on their butts to be careful of the little kids and have them slow way down! I remind them that they were little once! Playing with her is a good idea, but I am glad that nobody got hurt! We have to learn to share public spaces like this, it's a shame people are not more considerate. Last couple of times we were at the playground my son and his friend actually were helping out the younger ones. It was cute! But I have been there when my son was younger, I used to "accidentally" get in the way of the older ones, and when they knocked into me, I would say, good thing I'm not a little kid, you could have hurt me, so SLOW DOWN!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 12:50 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I would have yelled at the other kids.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 12:56 AM on May. 17, 2011

• I have called the police over stuff like that once when there was a group of teenagers smoking weed under the pavilion and being completely vulgar. I am a teacher in a small town though, so I know most of the kids and get after them if they don't manage their own behavior when they see a recognized adult.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:59 AM on May. 17, 2011

• We have a playground at the apartments I live in. Most of the time the kids around here play there without parents around. I was there with my kids, my mom, 3 of our neighbors and the little girl my mom babysits. Everything was going fine until this little boy started playing and his mom was nowhere to be found. This kid is 7 and threw a 4yro up against the monkey bars with his fist raised to hit him. Everyone there said something to the 7yro at the same time and he jumped about sky high. No one was rude to him, we all at the same time told him to leave the little one alone or we'd tell his mom. What that 7yro didn't know is that the 4yro he decided to pick on would have knocked him flat on his behind. I'm not looking forward to summer if yesterday was any indication of that little boys behavior.
    Jenniy

Answer by Jenniy at 1:03 AM on May. 17, 2011