DS's second birthday.

So DH is upset because his mother is helping a LOT with the party. We're strapped for cash right now because of some emergencies earlier in the year. She has offered her back yard for the party and to buy the snacks and hamburgers. (We have the hot dogs, cake and decorations.) He's so upset that she's helping because he feels like he's failing as a father for needing the help. I would agree if he was sitting at home doing nothing and getting welfare and food stamps when he was able to work but he works his butt off. He works 56 hours a week at two jobs to pay off unforeseen expenses like a broken arm, the car needing a brand new front suspension from when it was stolen among other things. How can I explain to him that it's not something he should feel guilty about? She sees her son struggling and wants her grandson to have a nice birthday. He gets so upset when she tries to help because he can't pay her back. How do I make him understand that she doesn't want the money back? She just wants her grandson to have a nice birthday.

I've talked to her and she told me if we want to pay her back, do right by her when she's too old to take care of herself and bring her grandkids up right. Idk how to make him understand.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on May. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he could help her around her house, mow the lawn, clean the attic, wash her cars ect? He shouldnt feel guilty! He is doing the best he can and he should be proud of that!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:09 AM on May. 17, 2011

• Men are stubborn. Point out that families help each other and that there is more than one way to pay her back. My Mom took care of most of DS's first birthday because I was overwhelmed and a little underexperienced with how much it would cost. She is a grandparent doting on a grandchild, turn it around and ask how dare he deny her of the privilige to be supergrandma?
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:10 PM on May. 17, 2011